I need tour technical opinion about moving Customizations folder into C:\ Recovery and Fonts folder in C:\Windows and substituting it with a junction

L

Leonardo Danza

I have a small Model 10-p001nl - HP x2 Detachable PC tablet with eMMC 32 GB system disk. The system disk, contsaining only O.S. Windows 10 1909 version, is almost full with 2,5 GB free (host name DESKTOP-8UJKBES).

I am an old (born in 1955) IT technical fellow so I used all Microsoft functions for free space on disk including specific disk folders selective compression using compact command, installing all apps on D: 129 GB microSD or otherwise moving executable apps folders on D: for apps tahat do not allow to select a specific folder for installation (es. Google Chrome installer) and substituting it with a junction, uninstalling all non used apps including windows apps installed with O.S., reducing SWAP file and Paging file, deleting Recovery partition, removing hibernation file ecc.

Now i observed disk usage with WinDirStat disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool and decided to move:

• Customizations folder into C:\ Recovery and substituting it with a junction
  • Fonts folder into C:\Windows and substituting it with a junction

It was necessary fo copy folders to D: disk, create junctions with different name, delete previous folders and rename junctions from Win PE environment started from bootable device.

Now i have almost 10 GB free on system disk end all works fine excluded for an error on chrome based browsers (Google Chrome and new Microsoft Edge) wich fails to get pages from the internet showing an obscure "..break point" message. This happens also if executable folder is not moved on D: with a junction.

May you superview my work and give me your opinion ??

Best Regards

Leonardo Danza

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom