Windows 10 automatically scrolling

S

star-boy-oz

Hi there,

I am having a problem with Windows 10 automatically scrolling downwards in certain situations.

My system was fine this afternoon, but when loaded Google Maps to check an address, I noticed a problem. I did not install new software or hardware today.

I have no control over downward scrolling in some applications, e.g.

• In File Explorer, in the left-hand pane with drives and folders
  • In the Start button menu, where the program list automatically scrolls
  • In Google Maps, where the view automatically zooms into the smallest zoom level (regardless of which browser I use)
  • In certain dialogs, such as the Mouse Properties, where the Double-click speed or Select a pointer speed sliders automatically pan to the right

I have tried these troubleshooting methods, all without success. I have restarted my system MANY times.

Hardware

• Changed to a different mouse (wireless)
  • Changed to a different mouse (wired)
  • Changed to a different keyboard (wireless)
  • Changed the USB port for mouse/keyboard receivers
  • Uninstalled all Mice and other pointing devices in Device Manager and allowed Windows to reinstall the drivers

The problem remained through all hardware changes so I concluded the mouse/keyboard hardware were not at fault.

USB devices

• I checked that all hardware devices were oriented correctly (e.g. no devices had buttons depressed)
  • I disconnected all USB devices and receivers (Bluetooth, external HDDs, touchscreen, game controllers). After this, the only devices connected were the keyboard and mouse.

I concluded that USB-connected devices were not at fault.

System

• I restarted in Safe Mode and the problem persisted.
  • I ran Windows Update and installed a fresh update.
  • When this didn't work, I restored to an earlier System Restore point and the problem persisted.
  • I ran Windows Update again and the problem persisted.
  • I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1903, OS build 18362.836
  • I created a new user and logged in using this new user profile and the problem persisted.

Linux test

• I loaded a Linux VM that I have installed and the problem DID NOT persist.

I concluded this was a problem isolated to Windows, and therefore it did not seem to be a hardware issue.

Windows settings

• I disabled the "Scroll inactive windows when I Hover over them" setting in Settings > Devices > Mouse, and this had no effect. I reset it, and still no effect.
  • I changed settings in Personalisation:
    • Changed Background from Slideshow to Picture
    • Turned off "Automatically pick an accent colour from my background"
  • This had no effect.

Virus scan

• I have an active subscription to Trend AV, and I ran a full anti-virus scan, which found no problems.

Check utilities

• Using an elevated command prompt, I ran these utilities:
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • sfc/scannow
  • None of these resolved the problem

Can someone please suggest a solution to this problem?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom