Windows cannot sleep or shutdown, volmgr Error 45 The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver. and Error 46 Crash dump initialization

R

Ryan Sergio

So my Windows just prevented me from sleep (and shutdown). I have traced the problem and read many many posts in Google to just fix my pagefile or memory dump. All the solutions do not work.

Whenever I do sleep or hibernate (shutdown /h), the screen turns off but the PC does not (all the LEDs are still on, my mouse is still powered). I can move my mouse and the screen goes back on again, and I got into the login screen again.

In my current setup, I have two NVMe drives. Both are M.2, and one is plugged into the M.2 slot, and the other one is plugged into the PCIe card using PCIe to M.2 card. I also have a GTX 1660 in the first PCIe slot. Both are dynamic disks because my D: is a striped volume. I also have a E: volume which is a simple volume. With this setup, I have 3 volumes, C, D, and E, which are listed in DISKPART as Volume 0 - 3 (including EFI system partition, which makes it 4 volumes).

I have used it with no problem. I have been using an external harddrive which apparently was not wiped clean and have two volumes (two partitions) in it, an ESP, and a normal NTFS partition. This makes them listed in disk part as Volume 4 and Volume 5. I have used this setup without problem. Until one day, I realized that I plugged out the drive without safely ejecting the drive. I have been using it without ejecting it once, shutting down and turning my computer on without ejecting it once. Then I wanted to use it for my laptop but I can't eject it safely because Windows kept saying that it was being used. So I forced ejected it anyway by plugging it out. This is when the problem began, I think.

After that I can't sleep or shutdown the PC. Restart works perfectly. When I saw the event viewer, there are three events that I always see when I do standby:

1. User-mode process attempted to change the system state by calling SetSuspendState or SetSystemPowerState APIs.

Source: Kernel-Power, Event ID: 187, Information

I think this indicates that the user initiates sleep.

2. The driver \Driver\pci for device PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43C7&SUBSYS_33061B21&REV_01\5&20ab19aa&0&08020B stopped the power transition.

Source: Kernel-Power, Event ID: 40, Information

This one I do not understand. In device manager it's one of the "PCI-to-PCI bridge" device. It can be my SSD or the Nvidia. But I think it is related to the volmgr problem which comes 1 second after.

3. The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

Source: volmgr, Event ID: 45, Error, EventData \Device\HarddiskVolume5

What I realized is that, in the EventData, there is an information regarding where the error comes from, I think. It's HarddiskVolume5. However there is no such volume in DISKPART. I have not plugged in the external harddrive back. HarddiskVolume5 may be from the external harddrive, or, one of my SSD drives which were numbered 5 when my external harddrive were plugged in. Either way, the error persists even though I plug my external harddrive back.

During startup, after rebooting, I do always get volmgr error, but this time it's Event 46, which is Crash dump initialization failed! which I think come from the same source. The EventData contains the same entry which is \Device\HarddiskVolume5 which is non-existent.

For extra information, doing shutdown /h will take me through the same process when sleeping and the command prompt then shows Incorrect function.(1) message on the screen, which I think does not help at all since it's a very generic error.

Standby, hibernate, and shutdown, all three will generate the exact same messages. They all behave exactly the same. All i can do is just reboot.

How to fix this problem, or at least reset the volmgr somehow so that it no longer refers to the non-existent drive? Of course changing memory dump or pagefile options do not work if this is the case.

I have tried fixing Windows files with dism and sfc, does not work.

Is there a way to fix this without having to reinstall Windows?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom