Microsoft User CAL licenses

Z

Zlelik

Hello,
I have a few questions about counting User CAL number.

1. User CAL is it physical person or Active Directory enabled account? For example, there are 600 physical people in organisation (600 heads or company has 600 contracts with employees). They use 1000 devices in total, so it looks like it is better to use User CAL. But some of the users has multiple accounts. For example, John Smith has 4 active directory accounts, jsmith, adm_jsmith, test_jsmith, train_jsmith and he uses all these accounts from time to time, but mostly he uses jsmith. There are 100 users like this in total, so there are 900 active accounts in active directory. What number should be used for user CAL 600 or 900? Ideally just tell me the number for this situation 600, 900 or something else and give additional explanation/questions if any.

2. User CAL is about all users (named users) or concurrent users? In previous example, John Smith is never using more then 1 account in parallel. If he login as jsmith, then he is logged out from adm_jsmith, test_jsmith, train_jsmith, etc. and some users are working with shifts, like there is a department with 40 people. Each person has only 1 active directory account. and only 20 of them works at the same time (20 users from 9:00 to 15:00 and 20 users from 15:00 to 21:00). All 40 users are counted here or only 20?

Assumptions: Organisation uses the same client latest windows on all devices (Let say windows 10) and the same windows servers (Let say Windows Server 2016 Standard).

Please do not spend your time by giving me this link to Microsoft site about client-access-license, which does not answer my question at all and do not try to explain the difference between User CAL and Device CAL. Question is different.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom