Remote Internet Access to unattended computer or camera

L

LarCrow2

For the last 15 years I have spent about half the time each year in another state but able to monitor my home situation via the internet and accessing my “unattended” home cameras and computer by simply using my 12 digit WAN address and with an unique 4 digit appended port number for each device in the format of http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx. When my WAN IP had 4 fields of 3 digits and appended by my 4 digit port number my system worked OK. As of about 9 months ago that method no longer works and attempts result in the message “This site can’t be reached” and the suggested Network Diagnostic doesn’t show any cause. I have been using an up to date version of Windows 10 Home while at my home and out of state during the entire period.
A couple of things are different now:

Time Warner went away and Spectrum showed up.

I was using a TP link Archer A9 router and am now using a Spectrum FAST 5280 router.

At some point I dropped my Cable TV and now just have internet and phone service.

My physical home address is the same but my WAN address has changed from a series of four 3 digit numbers to a series of three 2 digit numbers and a single 3 digit number.

Update1:

I thought I might have stumbled on the reason for my problem just by writing this summary. I thought that the 2 digit level WAN may not provide the granularity to find my home computer let alone my individual devices. Could that be the problem? If so why was I given this address after so many years of 3 digits? Why did I accept it? Why wasn’t I warned that could happen? What is required to get 12 digit resolution back?

Update2:

I intentionally went offsite and used my cellphone to access my home WAN IP from that different location. I appended the Port number for several of my cameras and got the same kind of message as I did went trying it at home. In assessing the web I find all sorts of sites that talk about how easy it is to accomplish what I’m trying to do but you have to change your home router to accept “remote” commands input by a simple selection in the router setup. Try as I might I cannot find any such choice in any portion of the Spectrum 5280 router or the T-link A9 router.

Update3

At various times I have seen reference to the need to use the Pro version of Windows 10 in order to access remote control. Is that a new requirement? I don’t have that feature in any of my computers?

Although I have never had to set up any special settings in the Firewall section of my computers to remotely connect I suppose that some new provisions in Windows 10 may now require that but I cannot find any place that specifies where and how to set that up and those that would seem to qualify are already set to do so.

I’m now 86 years old and this kind of thing is harder to diagnose. The out of state cycle may start again and I am still no further in finding a solution. What am I missing or overlooking?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom