FR: STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING MY SYSTEM TO INSTALL UPDATES. I'LL DO IT WHEN I SEE FIT. ON BEHALF OF THE ENTIRE WORLD: THANK YOU.

F

Feidaman

I usually put my system to sleep when at night or when I'm not using it, and shut it down about once a week—if that.

Windows 10 has recently been bugging me to shut down to install an update. I've been busy working on something so it was never a convenient time to shut down. Just five minutes ago I got a very intrusive prompt, one of those that hogs the entire screen, impatiently telling me that it was time to install the stupid update. Windows had waited enough days and it couldn't wait no more.

Before this prompt came other prompts that gave me the option to "do it later", which usually meant "remind me again tomorrow and I'll tell you to wait again", but this time the best available option was to delay it one hour—fine by me: one hour it is. Went off to the bathroom, and when I come back I see the Windows 10 login screen. Huh? OK, maybe Windows has locked the desktop, though it's weird as I've set this to happen after 15 minutes of inactivity, not a couple of minutes. I log in and my jaw drops: the taskbar is EMPTY. My systems has restarted while I was emptying my bladder.

What good is giving the user the option to restart in an hour if Windows decides to restart after two minutes? Good thing I save my work regularly and the only work I've lost this time (that's right, it's not the first time this has happened) is a couple of lines of text in Notepad I was using as a scratchpad.

Here's an outlandish feature request for MS: How about you stop bugging people to restart their systems to install an update? I get it, updates are for our own good, and I'm not completely against automatic updates, but PLEASE let users decide WHEN to restart their systems. Trust me, every system on the planet is eventually restarted. It might take a couple of days, or week, or two, but it WILL EVENTUALLY HAPPEN. Just download the update package, and let it sit on the hard drive until the user voluntarily restarts their system. It's that simple. If the system is not working properly, I'm pretty sure users will be more than happy to restart ASAP to see if the update fixes anything. If the system is otherwise working fine, what's the urgency? Users will restart their machine when they feel they don't have work-in-progress going on and it's a good time to do it, because they will EVENTUALLY do it of their own accord. We are responsible adults. We will do it. Trust us. Seriously now.

Windows 7 used to be a very "static" OS. It would sit there quietly waiting for my commands. Windows 10 is NEEDY. It's constantly demanding attention like a spoilt child. I don't think professionals need this. Please.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom