Programs Crashing and Performance Issues/Freezing Windows 10

R

rlm42

Hi,

I've been using Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop and finally decided to upgrade to 10 a couple months back. Ever since I've had problems with my desktop. It is a cheap computer that I built from used parts from friends. Basically I had many problems such as the display flickering and PC crashing with various BSOD both during gaming and just web browsing so I switched the Radeon R9 280 which was faulty to a GTX 1060 6GB. It runs better however I have random program crashes, including Brave browser which worked fine has just started closing itself after a couple minutes of being open (Google Chrome works fine). The Xbox app closes itself sometimes also. When browsing the internet sometimes it freezes for a minute or too when clicking or switching tabs and then works fine again.

My specs are:

Mobo: ASRock 990FX Extreme3

AMD FX-8320 Eight Core Processor 3.7 Ghz

8 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Upgraded from a Radeon R9 280)

Another issue is I bought a cheap D-LINK USB Network Adapter and occasionally the network will drop out and say no available connections, I need to either turn the Wi-Fi off and on in the bottom right taskbar or pull the Adapter out and plug it back in for it to work again.

I run dual monitors, 1 widescreen on HDMI and a cheap Dell vertical monitor on DVI and occasionally the second monitor will flick to a black screen for a second or less and then back on. But it has always done this and thought nothing of it.

I have ran a Memtest to check the RAM and that didn't show any errors.

What do you think? Should I try a format and clean install? Could it be the motherboard?

Continue reading...