Revisiting Issue - "Windows 10 Your Phone app crash randomly in message view"

I

IanFitzpatrick2

I am commenting on the status of a presently locked thread from October of 2019 .

I had the exact same situation and symptoms as OP. 'Your Phone' app was properly synced, had all the right permissions from my phone for proper use, and would refresh a list of messages, but would subsequently crash after clicking on a message thread.

I followed the Independent Advisor's steps to fix the problem...

In the search bar, type cmd.

Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator.
Type SFC /scannow and press the Enter key.
Re-enter Command Prompt as Administrator and run these:
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

^the above steps were followed and appeared to have done their job and repaired what needed to be repaired, or they encountered no issue, I guess. Just to be safe then, I followed the next bit of steps they detailed...

If these still do not repair the file in question you can repair it from the command prompt as administrator running these:
regsvr32.exe /u ntdll.dll
regsvr32.exe ntdll.dll

^these steps however, proved problematic if not useless, with command prompt throwing an error and telling me that "The module 'ntdll.dll' was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that 'ntdll.dll' is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again"

The futility of this particular step was pointed out three years prior in this thread from May 2016 .

The only step I found (here) to actually solve the issue was to enter in command prompt:

for %1 in (*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %1

As someone more stubborn than knowledgeable, please enlighten me... why would the above command solve my issue but not what was first suggested?

Anyhow, I solved my issue with a little finagling and dumb luck. (If it matters, I was using a Pixel3a *shrug*)

Has anyone else encountered this issue (with regards to 'Your Phone' app crashing and being unable to re-register the DLL file, at least initially) ?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom