DHCP - running out of IP's / really?

S

Staman81

Windows Server 2016 Standard, DHCP with a single scope 100.0.0.0 (for ilustration)

This setup is running like this for years, combination of static IPs + dynamic pool (Computers/laptops , VoIP phones, printers, etc)

I'm getting warning in Event Viewer that DHCP is running out of IP addresses. Event 1376, DHCP Server.

IP address range of scope 100.0.0.0 is 98 percent full with only 2 IP addresses available.

I red everything here on technet forum but I found no solution to this. I'm NOT running out of IPs, this information isn't correct. When I'm going trough the leases I can clearly see the free addresses.. not one, not two, there is 30-40 free addresses that will be enough for years.

These IPs are free, there is no DNS record for any of them. Changing Lease duration isn't the way to go, DNS are dynamically updated and 100% working. I'm wondering why I'm getting this incorrect information. Is there a bug in DHCP server (W2016)? My Address pool top range end with 100.0.0.250 and the last leased address is currently 100.0.0.248. That would explaing those "2" free addresses from Event Viewer. But as I said, in the range of 0.0 to 0.250 there is 40 free un-used IP ..

Had anyone experienced this? Should I be worried? I can move some laptops from another subnet to see what will happen .. or perhaps do the Reservation too free up the end range

But the question is: Why is this happening, is it a bug or a "feature" by Microsoft? Am I the only one that believe this isn't correct?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom