Virtual WS 2016 Terminal Server - Extremely Slow Boot Time

C

cease70

Hello,

All of our terminal servers running WS 2016 take >1 hour to boot up after a reboot in all circumstances I've been able to test so far. I've done a "safe boot" via msconfig and disabled all non-Microsoft services with no success. The event viewer has errors in the Windows > System section but they are related to external backup disks and things of that nature being unreachable. These happen only while the system is NOT being rebooted so while they are errors that need addressed I don't believe they're part of the issue here. The shutdown part of the reboot process occurs in a normal amount of time - it is just the boot up process that takes forever.

If I run a continuous ping, it only times out about 4 or 5 times before they are successful again - but it just sits on the black screen with the Windows logo and the spinning dots for a long time and eventually gets to the login screen.

The one I'm testing on is running on a Cisco UCS chassis and has 8 virtual CPUs and 64 GB of RAM and there is no indication that either of these are a bottleneck in Task Manager.

Is there anything I'm missing or that I should try next to narrow down what the issue might be? Ideally there would be some setting that I could tweak and resolve with this specific non-prod VM and then verify the same setting on the other production VMs and schedule a time to reboot those as well as we are a 24/7 medical facility.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide that would be helpful.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom