trojan file

G

GeorgeLong3

Hi

I think I have a trojan file on the computer. I've run across a file $dpx$.tmp. When I click on it, it says I need permission to access. Then it says I have been denied permission to access and to click the security tab.

There, it says I do not have permission to view, even as an administrative user.

I've run the latest McAfee a couple times and it comes up as no issues but this folder won't go away. I've tried shredding it with McAfee and nothing. I've scandisk off windows, same thing. It won't go away.

I had a sketchy experience recently on this laptop - I was installing the McAfee program and it said it couldn't be installed to call a number at McAfee (800-409-9847) and the Indian fellow there tried to convince me that I needed to buy a $500 program to get rid of "so many problems" on my computer. I refused saying I would simply buy a new laptop and he was rather aggressive in that the virus would go through my wifi to "every computer and phone on you wifi" and it was my responsibility, not Spectrum (our wifi provider) to protect the system.

Anyway, this file is listed as being created about the same time and definitely the same date as when I was talking to the Indian guy who was giving me the rush.

What should I do, beyond burning this laptop?

Continue reading...