Microphone fizzing and 3d graphics performance issues and crashes on Windows 10 Bootcamp (Macbook Pro 2020 13-inch)

D

DitchCord

Hi, I've been really getting annoyed recently with a slew of problems whilst trying to use bootcamp on this macbook. I'm making this post to see if anyone else has the same or similar issues with this computer or similar computer. I've already wiped this entire computer, reinstalling both macos and windows, and confirmed at the apple store genius bar to that there are no hardware issues. My assumption now is that many of my issues are related to drivers, so I'm just going to list out all the issues I've been experiencing and hope someone has some insight on some of these.

I am using Windows 10 Pro version 1909 build 18363.900, running on a Macbook Pro 2020 13-inch (10th gen cpu with 16gb ram) using the default Boot Camp drivers that come with the Windows installation. d

Issues found so far:

(Sound)

- When attaching an external headset with an attached microphone, the mic will work normally for around 5-15 minutes, and then start distorting and fizzing out. Turning off and on the mic will fix the problem, but I will need to repeat this over and over again, and requires me to actively listen to my mic to know when the fizzing starts happening.

(3D games and display graphics)

(I've had these problems on both the preinstalled intel graphics driver AND the latest intel DCH display driver version 100.8280)

- DirectX12 has fun issues on various games: "Fullscreen" mode will only keep the game in the topleft corner of the screen and loading a level will freeze and crash the game (Unreal Tournament pre-alpha). Textures are blurry and alt-tabbing crashes the game (Fortnite). Game crashes on launch (ARK: Survival Evolved)

- Running 2 games at the same time and alt-tabbing between them will frequently crash the entire display, leaving it blank with a cursor in the middle, and I cannot interact with anything nor press ctr-alt-del, requiring a force restart. I've done this all the time before on a 2015 macbook pro 13-inch with no issues except for lower frame rates.

- A couple games refuse to run at all and simply crash on startup, namely Quake Champions and Goat of Duty (This may be the app's fault but I just want to mention it just in case someone knows a solution)

- Using some of the warmer colors in the "f.lux" lighting application (f.lux) will occasionally cause some pink pixel artifacts appearing on specific colors shown on the display. I've found similar issues in the f.lux forum but none relate directly to the computer I'm using. I and many people I know use this app on their macbooks (not the new one I'm using) without any issues.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom