"No boot device found" message on boot, but SSD can be booted from through the boot menu

M

Michael A_B

Hi,

I'm assisting with trying to resolve a problem on a computer running Windows 10. The problem appeared on first boot after the graphics card was upgraded.

After showing POST on the first boot it started showing the Windows 7 startup logo, before soon after reporting an that needed to be fixed. chkdsk started running, and once done the computer loaded into Windows 7.

The computer was apparently upgraded with a SSD drive at one point. Windows 10 was installed on this SSD, and the old HHD with Windows 7 installed was kept in the computer without being formatted.

Seeing that it booted to the wrong OS, the computer was rebooted. The same thing happening again. The computer was rebooted once more to enter BIOS to check boot order. There all turned out to be fine, with the SSD (marked with Windows Boot Manager) having the highest priority. All other options looked fine too.

To try to force the computer to boot from the SSD, the HDD was disconnected. After POST the following, well known message appeared:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device"

Seeing it didn't find a drive to boot from, the computer was rebooted to enter the boot menu (F8). Here the SSD shows up, with Windows 10 booting and running without problem after choosing the drive from the menu.

But for every reboot, the same message appears, requiring the boot menu to be used. I've tried reconnecting the SSD, but nothing changes.

Once booted into Windows 10 everything works perfectly fine. The computer can run for hours and hours without problem, and the new graphics card did wonders in games. In the Disk Management tool in Windows the SSD looks all fine, with the EFI System Partition showing up as it should.

Not having to enter the boot menu every time the computer is started and being able to reconnect the old HDD (preferably using it as a normal drive without an old OS installed on it this time) would be preferable. The fact that the Corsair gaming keyboard isn't recognized at boot aswell, but only starts functioning sometime into the OS startup, which requires the use of a "simpler" keyboard only to enter the boot menu, adds to the inconvenience. (For the latter problem I've tried using BIOS mode on the keyboard, but that didn't help).

To fix the main problem I tried running the Startup repair tool from the Windows installation media. The tool reports that all is working fine once it's done. But nothing has changed when the computer is rebooted, the error message above appears again.

I know I can run the repair commands manually from the command line from the repair tool to fix things like a broken Windows boot manager, but I haven't tried it before. I don't want to head into this before seeking some guidance, especially since it's not my computer (and there is no backup of the SSD (yet, since a backup can be done now that we can boot to the drive)). I've found different guides using differenent command line programs, like Diskpart and BCDBoot, but few talk about whether there are any risks involved with running those commands or not.

What are your suggestions to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance, it will be highly appreciated of the owner of the computer.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom