I have to disable laptop's speaker, but keep the headphones operational, but "sound" menu shows them as the same device. Can I separate them without s

S

StarshipJake

Hello everyone!
I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read through all of this! :p I think it might be better to post the context for the problem if that's okay.

I own an Acer Aspire 792g with Windows 10.
Some time ago I had an issue with a buzzing and then very loud crackling noise coming from the laptop, which I have finally been able to identify as a damaged speaker. The problem was difficult enough to diagnose because the crackling would spontaneously appear even when there was no audio played, or when it was muted, or when I was using headphones, which I was almost all the time.

Eventually, however, I discovered that it is in fact the speaker. The issue has to be somehow connected to the temperature because the crackling would only appear when the laptop was used in a warm room and only after some time of it being used, but the warmer it was - the sooner the noises would appear. Anyway, I discovered that disabling the speakers hardware in my "hardware and sound" menu in the control panel completely eliminated the noises. Of course, it turns off the sound as well, but it did stop the speaker from crackling. But I encountered another issue.

As it turned out, the "sound" menu always shows the same device being the one that is presently being used, regardless of whether I'm using speakers or plugging in any headphones, it always shows as the same piece of hardware. So when I would disable the speakers, then even after plugging in the headphones the sound still wouldn't play - because now they'd show as being disabled. And of course, enabling them would soon bring back the crackling noises from the now unused speaker.

I read that the Realtek audio manager menu has the option of splitting the devices into separate positions on the list. However, my laptop appears to be one of the few which doesn't support the advanced Realtek drivers which offer that option. I wasn't able to separate the headphones and the speakers on my laptop via Realtek menu, regardless of the version of the driver that I used. I just don't have the access to the "advanced" settings.

On a hunch, I decided to check if using the Microsoft HD Audio drivers would offer some solutions and to try them out, I had to switch the driver for the speakers in the device manager. To do that, I had to look for them on the list of all available drivers, some of which apparently aren't the right ones for my laptop (at least that's what the message in the menu warned about). I selected the Microsoft's HD Audio driver version 10.0.186... from 2019. To my surprise, it worked. The sound was there, while the headphones and speakers now appeared as two separate devices in my audio menu. I disabled the speakers, left the headphones alone, now I have the audio in my headphones and there's no buzzing and crackling from the speaker whatsoever!

That alone is a huge win for me. However, naturally, there are downsides. The volume is lower, not devastatingly lower, but somewhat lower. But more importantly, once ever 10, 20, 30 minutes there's a single popping sound in my headphones. To put it mildly, they don't sound very healthy :p
Preferably I'd avoid using a driver which might not be the best fit for my hardware, but installing the recommended Realtek driver will again merge my headphones and speakers into one position on the list, thus preventing me from stopping the buzzing and effectively making the laptop unusable during the summer.

So my question is this:
Is there any way to keep the speakers disabled and headphones enabled without sacrificing the sound quality that comes from using audio drivers other than Realtek?

A huge thank you in advance to anyone who decides to help out! If you need any additional info, please let me know.

Cheers, everyone!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom