Different programs failing to install after downloading successfully

L

Leldritch

Multiple programs I've tried to install lately have failed after successful downloads. I'm not sure when the problem began because while it seems to affect multiple completely unrelated programs, it doesn't affect everything I try to install (for example, Ultimaker Cura and Steam have installed successfully recently and Civilization VI installed fine last month, but the last time I successfully installed something bigger than a gigabyte--Zbrush 2018--was more than five months ago).

I've tried installing the Autodesk download manager, the Autodesk Inventor free trial (after accepting through the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes" message, nothing happens with both of these), and Stellaris via Steam (this one prompts me to allow the app to make changes, then gives the "Performing first time setup..." dialog, then the wizard errors soon after clicking "Install").

9e521515-26f7-4189-91b9-8e8f90fab794?upload=true.png

261569c8-a323-4f92-b737-2ca1d6119788?upload=true.png

I've also tried updating Minecraft, but I get an "Unable to update the Minecraft Native Launcher" message simultaneously with the "Updating Minecraft launcher..." dialog with a moving loading bar. This issue happens whether I click the launcher from my desktop shortcut or download from the Minecraft site directly.

aa7c93ad-18b9-405b-a789-20b68b31abbd?upload=true.png

I thought it was an issue with Autodesk specifically at first, but given that I also had problems with Stellaris and Minecraft, it seems to be a more general issue. It's not affecting everything I try to install, since I installed Steam without issue after trying to install the Autodesk programs and just prior to trying to install Stellaris. It shouldn't be a disk space issue because I'm showing 924 GB free and the recommended free space for Stellaris is only 10 GB. I have been letting Windows update automatically; is there a Windows update that could have caused this? I haven't tried rolling back updates yet due to the large window in which the problem could have started.

While troubleshooting, I tried uninstalling all the versions of C++ redistributable that I could (I couldn't remove the 2017 version), changing some temp folder settings, and running the troubleshooter provided here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...hat-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed . The troubleshooter downloaded, but threw this error when trying to run it:

bcaf0be4-5555-432a-b772-c14a5c9883a2?upload=true.png

I'd really appreciate some help with figuring out how to get programs to install properly again!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom