RoboCopy ERROR 5 only for files leading with a dot

L

lschachten

I am having an odd issue and I can't seem to find anything addressing this issue in particular.

I am trying to transfer all my file server shares to a NAS formatted to ext4 using RoboCopy. The file server executing the transfer is running Window Server 2016, is part of a cluster and the shares are stored on an iSCSI volume. The NAS is part of the same domain as my file server and the user I am using for this procedure has full permissions on the server shares as well as full permissions on the NAS an its destination share. I've noticed that every time I run RoboCopy it will perfectly copy anything, except folders and files that begin with a dot (.) - not all of them, but a lot of them. These are mostly hidden files and folders, but also files created by users that lead with one or more dots in their title. RoboCopy will throw me an "ERROR 5 access denied" for many of these, and only these.

Now, I have noticed that if I take these files and just drag and drop them over to the NAS, or the entire directory they are in, they will be fully transfered. If using RoboCopy on the other hand, these files/zips will be created in the destination, but in many cases only have half to no size. Of course I have already checked the file permissions, but the user I am using does have full permission for all these files.

It doesn't even seem to matter how much I am altering the command, but this is basically what I am using:

robocopy "G:\folder\to\be\copied" "\\192.168.172.11\home\test" /mir /zb /r:0

Just in case someone comes up with the /copy:dt solution, tried that one as well, doesn't help.

I've noticed that xcopy will throw this error as well, by the way.

If it's of any relevance, the file server is using deduplication.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom