Problem with no sound after Windows update

T

T.Edwards_773

For a while I have periodically had problems after system updates when my Windows 10 computer stops all programs from producing sounds and I frequently get error messages instead. I have temporarily been able to recover sound by doing a System Restore to a previous save point. However the last time I did this the Edge Browser would not work, so I had to reinstall Edge. Unfortunately doing this stopped sound working again. This fault applies to sound outputs from any program etc. including the various Windows system sounds - eg. when putting in a USB device.

My default audio device is Realtek(R) Audio feeding speakers.

The error message I get with Magix Audio Cleaning Lab is:- The wave device 'Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio) cannot be opened for playback! Reason: Undefined external error.

The error I get when I try to play music with Windows Media Player is :- Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

The error I get when I try to play music with Groove Music is :- Please try again. If the problem continues, visit Microsoft Support to check for guidance. 0x80004005.

Some other programs do not give an error message, but produce no sound

I went into Settings and to the Audio Control Panel. Everything looked OK and all the various volume controls are set OK. When I tried to play a test tone, I got the error message :- Failed to play test tone.

I have tried updating the audio driver and it says the latest driver is installed.

Any suggestion of how I can overcome this problem?

Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom