HP Z1 Backlight on, blank display after Windows 10 update 1909 (and every update)

A

Alex in Bronte

I have an HP Z1 all in one pc circa 2011. It has a Xeon processor, 16GB of ram and a Quadro 500m video card. Where the only things hooked up to it is a usb printer and a displayport cord used to make the screen act as a monitor for a second computer as it is capable of ultra high resolution.

I have been around PC's since the 90's and have never in my life had so many problems until I put Windows 10 professional on this pc.

EVERY time I do a Windows 10 update it turns into a fight lasting days and I end up undoing the Windows update. Then a little while later another fight ensues when Windows decides to randomly update to the version that does not work and BINGO, its Groundhog day again and I get to do it all over again.

This is the typical scenario: Windows notifies that an update is required, so I put it off. You can only do this for so long until it updates on its own.

Then Windows does the update and at the final screen before the sign on screen it goes blank. The backlight is on. But no Windows sign on screen.

So I go through the motions of starting up in safe mode (which works no problem at all). I go to the device manager, uninstall the Quadro 500m video device drivers and reboot. Sometimes I get past the sign in screen until the device drivers get loaded, then the screen goes blank. Other times I have the same blank screen with a backlight. I updated all of the HP BIOS and drivers before doing the Windows 10 Professional 1909 update and have looked everywhere on the internet to help resolve this problem, but have not found a solution. Imagine having to do this every time Windows has an update...this is not even touching on any bugs or errors with the update because I cant even use the computer to see how the update is.

Basically I have a very nice Windows 10 Professional boat anchor at the moment. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Continue reading...