Moving windows 10 license from one (bricked) laptop to another (working) laptop

K

KedarBindu

Hi,

I had purchased an Acer Nitro V gaming laptop that came with windows 10 home, installed on a 128 GB M2 SATA SSD. This laptop is not powering up due to a fault in its motherboard (or so I was told). I am trying to salvage as much I can from this laptop, since its now a brick, to other devices I already have. So here is my situation -

• Bricked Acer Nitro V, with a working 128 GB M2 SSD
  • Older, but working Acer Aspire 5920, currently running Linux mint
  • Another windows 10 laptop that I can use for cloning/backing up purposes

My question is: I want to transfer windows 10 home license that came with Acer Nitro V, to the older Acer Aspire, how can I do that?

• I can manage installing windows 10 on the older Acer Aspire. I understand a fresh install would also work.
  • I do not care for the data on the Acer Nitro nor do I care for the data on the old Acer Aspire.
  • I have an external SSD enclosure that allows me to connect the SSD from bricked Acer Nitro to the working older Acer Aspire or for cloning or for retrieving the windows 10 product key/license key/activation key (if that is possible)
  • The windows 10 on the bricked Acer Nitro came with the laptop, activated by default. I did not purchase it separately. Hence, I do not have its product or activation key
  • I can not install the M2 SSD on Acer Aspire. Its a very old laptop and does not have the slot to install this drive. It has a 160 GB HDD where I can either install windows 10 cloned from SSD (if its possible) or I can do a fresh windows 10 home installation using a bootable USB drive.

From my research, I understand that the challenge here is to get the activation key or license from the bricked laptop's SSD, and transfer it to Acer Aspire, and that is what I primarily need help with. I understand that cloning from the SSD will not solve the license transfer problem (please correct me if I am wrong).

Please help!

Thanks and Regards,

Kedar

Continue reading...