Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition

E

elstaci

I needed to do a Clean Windows installation. I used a Windows Install disc which I burnt from Windows.ISO file created by MS Creator's Tool.

The reason why was because I kept getting BOOTMSG error (BOOTMSG IS CORRUPTED. SYSTEM CAN NOT BOOT) when booting up with both my C: Drive and Blue Ray Burner. I needed to use my IDE Burner, connected to a PCIe IDE card, to run the installation disk. At first I tried repairing BOOTMSG via Command Prompt by got the error "Access Denied" when trying to run Bootrec /Fixboot command.

Finally since Boot Manager is located in System Reserved Partition of Windows 10 I was forced to do a Clean Windows Installation.

When I ran the installer, I deleted all the partitions in my C: Drive and then the installer created a new C: Partition which automatically created a new System Reserved Partition at the same time, except it was 75 Mbytes large instead of 575 Mbytes as it was previously in all of my previous Windows 10 Clean installations in the past.

When I saw it at first, I didn't think much about it, Thinking that maybe as Windows got larger it automatically adjusted the System Reserve to enlarge also. But it didn't.

I became aware that something was wrong with the Windows installation when I kept getting during my first Windows System Backup after installation, that the source or destination HDD was full and not enough space to perform the System backup error. I even formatted the destination HDD to no effect.

Then I tried Easeus DISK BACKUP and it immediately BSOD with a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. Yet when I ran Easeus System Backup it ran without issues.

So I did another Clean Windows Installation with the same exact errors again. I googled the error and found out that if Windows System Reserved Partition was less than 350 Mbytes for Windows 10 x 64 it will cause issues.

So I downloaded first Mini-Tools Partition which was able to shrink my Windows Partition and enlarge my Recovery Partition but kept getting an error when trying to enlarge the important System Reserved Partition.

So I read about AOMEI Partition Assistant. With that software I was able to enlarge the System Reserved Partition from 75 Mbytes to 1.75 Gbytes and my Recovery Partition to 3.25 Gbytes large.

After that, Windows was working extremely well and fast.

Windows SYSTEM BACKUP created the backup much faster than when I had the normal 575 Mbyte Partition created in the past.

Easeus DISK BACKUP works as advertised without anymore BSODs errors and runs very smoothly.

I notified Easeus Tech Support since I opened a ticket trying to find out if I had a hardware or software issue. When Easeus Tech Support emailed me back to find out if I fixed the problem I made them aware of what I needed to do to fix the problem.

I tried to get a hold of MS TECH SUPPORT in the last 2 days via CHAT Feature and never got connected. So I decided to go here instead.

NOTE: Even after doing a Clean Windows Installation I kept getting BOOTMGR IS CORRUPTED error when trying to boot up from my Blue Ray Burner. Turned out to be, either a defective SATA Cable or Motherboard SATA Port. I replaced the SATA Cable with a short 6" cable instead of the 18" SATA cable it had previously and at the same time connected it to a spare Motherboard SATA Port I had available.

What is really strange is that my Blue Burners worked fine once Windows booted up into the Desktop but would crash while booting up from them.

Now I am able to boot from my Blue Ray burner again without any problems.

So the question I have is why did Windows Installation disc created such a tiny 75 Mbytes System Reserved while in the past it used to create a System Reserved of 575 Mbytes?

I read that a 75 Mbyte System Reserved is compatible with Windows XP or Windows Vista. That Windows 10 x64 requires a minimum of 350 Mbyte Partition to work correctly.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom