Win 10 Registry setting to change/swap F keys function to standard F key behavior & not hold down Fn key to access

E

Event2020

Hi all

I have a brand new Acer Aspire one running Windows 10 Home V1909 which I know is a legacy machine now but it is for my children do use for School Work during the Covid lockdown.

I have searched this forum, and else where (google) and I have thus far been unable to find anything that is helpful.

I have posted in Acers own forum (link below) and it seems they can not help me.

I wonder if there is a Registry edit or setting that can help me (I am comfortable in editing the registry).

My post in Acer's forum

The issue is the function buttons which which Acer has set to default to Acers utilitys like screen brightness, sound volume and, the real issue, flight mode. If you want to use the Function buttons (F1 - F12) you have to hold down the Fn key.

My children are 8 & 10 and explaining to them that they have to hold down the Fn key each time they need to use a function key every time is impossible.

On all of my other machines, my work laptop and my home PC you have to hold down the Fn button to access the extra features like this and without the Fn button being held down the F1 - F12 buttons act normally.

My children are finding that they are constantly using F2 to access features within the programs they use for school work but as they are not used to having to remember to hold down the Fn button they are turning off the laptops internet connection which is causing BIG issues and some arguments.

I have done it myself and it is beyond annoying.

I do not understand why Acer have done things this way around but is there a registry setting that can swap the F keys back to normal?

I have tried checking the BIOS (V1.21) and nothing there suggests it can be done so I wonder if it would perhaps be a registry setting. I have been told in the Acer forum that my BIOS is unable to change these settings.

For the sake of my sanity and family harmony any suggests would be gratefully received.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom