BSOD WHEA errors on brand new PC build i9-10900k Gigabyte Vision D - Help?

W

whip-it-up

Hi! I just recently completed my first PC build and I’m stuck: Within the first day of getting the system up and running I started getting constant blue screen errors (WHEA Uncorrectable Error only) and I've been trying to narrow down whether it’s a driver issue or hardware. I could use some help! After investigating a bit and many OS re-installs later, it looks like the error occurs consistently a few seconds after the Intel UHD Display 630 driver installs or a few minutes after the Radeon RX5700 driver is installed.

Here's my build details:

I9-10900k
Dark Rock Pro 4
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200
Samsung EVO Plus M.2 NVME 500GB (boot/Windows)
Samsung EVO M.2 NVME 1TB
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB HDD
Gigabyte RX 5700
Win Home ver 1909 build 18363.959

Here’s the sequence of events:

• As I was first installing the OS, the motherboard drivers from DVD, the OS updates for version 1909 and a few applications, the system appeared to be stable and working well, for about a day.
  • However, it was not recognizing the HDD in the SATA port I was using so I removed the GPU to access the ports to swap the plug.
  • Upon replacing the GPU and powering back up, the system no longer recognized the GPU. First, I tried reinstalling the RX5700 drivers. This is where I got the first of many BSOD WHEA errors on restart, followed by repeating freezes on “Preparing automatic repairs” message on the mobo splash screen. The BSOD loop caused the system to no longer recognize drives including the boot drive, etc.
  • After many reinstalls of Windows and the troubleshooting steps below, it appears that the BSOD errors occur with a few seconds of the system installing the Intel UHD Display 630 driver. This driver is automatically reinstalled by the system even after I uninstall it. Using Microsoft Show/Hide Tool I am able to at least temporarily prevent it from being installed long enough to use the PC for a while and test things out, using the standard Microsoft Display Driver. Upon restarting the PC will always reinstall the Intel display driver, after which it will always freeze, turn off, or BSOD (mostly commonly BSOD) within a few seconds after seeing the driver. If I’m fast enough after a reboot (when it actually does let me fully boot into Windows), I can uninstall the driver quickly from Device Manager and actually use the computer for troubleshooting.
  • I tested the whole process on a different M.2 drive using only the Radeon RX 5700 driver with the GPU installed (I turned off the automatic application updates so -- I think -- it prevented Windows from reinstalling the Intel Display driver). That installation is stable for a few minutes at a time until either a WHEA BSOD, freeze or black screen occurs.

Things I’ve tried so far:

• Reinstalled Windows many times, booting from both M.2 drives, both with and without GPU installed
  • Installed all OS updates and updated drivers via Windows Update for 1909
  • Installed/reinstalled motherboard drivers from included DVD
  • Installed newest motherboard chipset drivers manually from Gigabyte website (tried latest version and the one before that): Intel Management Engine, Intel Serial driver, Intel INF. When Intel Serial IO driver gets installed, I get an immediate BSOD.
  • Reset CMOS
  • Verified latest firmware for M.2 drives
  • Flashed BIOS to latest version, 5fd
  • Tested memory (note: Win Memory Diagnostics Tool was frozen for 1.5 days on 59% and would not respond to keystrokes)
  • Disabled Turbo Boost and C-States (these are on by default)
  • CPU temps appear to be normal
  • Ran chkdsk on boot drive
  • Ran sfc /scannow
  • Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic (passed although it reported “Non-Intel GPU detected, No Open CL Support” even though no GPU was present. I suspect this was because I had uninstalled the Intel UHD 630 Display driver in order to avoid BSODs and am using Microsoft Basic Display Driver?)
  • Tried operating with only each RAM stick, in different slots
  • Ran OCCT tests for 1 hr both with and without GPU present
  • Reseated hardware/plugs and disconnected everything but USB, power and case switches
  • Updated drivers (this is where it crashes every time, installing Intel UHD Display 630). In troubleshooting this I’ve been occasionally restoring the system back to a restore point right before installing the “Intel - net” driver and the system seemed to be stable consistently prior to installing that driver (no BSOD). But the driver causing issues appears to be part of the Intel Serial IO installation package as well, when updating manually from Gigabyte chipset drivers site.
  • Tried Reverting to previous UHD 630 driver and newest BETA driver (says my OS is not supported)
  • Tried memory at 3200Mhz vs stock

Minidump file example: drive.google.com/file/d/1-ccavpH8q2jWOtYX7khMcWNLk48s0olR/view?usp=sharing

Is there a workaround for this? Am I headed in the right direction? I'd appreciate any advice you can provide! Thank you!
Dave

Continue reading...