Rejected Credentials

M

M Rogovin

I have several computers on a home network. All are running Win10. One computer has a second HD and all users have full access to all files on this shared drive. That PC also has a shared printer. All computers use Microsoft account login (although some users use a PIN). Two users are administrators; I am one of the admins. From one of the networked computers, I can login to the shared drive and see all subfolders. I can also print to the shared printer. However, all of a sudden, the other admin cannot see some contents of certain subfolders on the shared drive (but she can see other subfolders in the same folder) and she cannot print. Trying to connect to the printer results in the system rejecting her credentials. I tried overwriting but that was rejected. I deleted her Windows credentials but that did help. Interestingly, to see the shared folders, the only login that worked was her first name, not her username which is her email address, nor the shortened name Windows assigned (first 5 letters of her email address). But none of these worked for the printer or cleared the selective subfolder issue. The only changes since she was able to access the printer are:

• Latest Win10 update on the computer she is using but older build on the server computer (which I was just told by HP does not officially support Win10 although Microsoft said it did when I ran a compatibility check before installing it; when I tried the latest build it caused too many errors and so I downgraded. Obviously I will be replacing this PC in the near future).
  • I also made some changes to the router, mostly on the WiFi side which should not have impacted these since they are connected by ethernet, although the router was rebooted several times.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom