Cannot remove 8tb Seagate USB HDD from Windows 10 64x Home

R

RobertFlintstone

I have a Seagate 8 TB USB HDD that I regularly disconnect from my desktop. It seems that since the last update I can no longer safely remove the HDD from my desktop. If I try using the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" menu iten on the task bar, "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.". If I go through the control panel and right clik on the device under "Devices and Printers" , under status I get a message "Can't remove device while it's in use".

If I open the Windows Logs / System there are two warnings posted each time I try to remove the 8TB USB HDD.

1st:

Warning 7/18/2020 4:09:31 PM Kernel-PnP 225 (223)

The application System with process id 4 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0BC2&PID_AB38\NA9Q7TM3.

2nd:

Warning 7/18/2020 4:09:31 PM Kernel-PnP 225 (223)

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2006.10-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4252 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0BC2&PID_AB38\NA9Q7TM3.

It seems that Windows Defender will not allow the USB HDD to be unlocked or taken offline. MsMpEng.exe is the Windows Defender application. It is a process that cannot just be ended. And I would not want to. But MSFT should have included a way for Windows to disconnect the USB HDD from the OS and allow the device to be safely removed.

I have searched online for answers and I called MSFT support. MSFT should consider English speaking support staff for their phone support. Long story short, there does not appear to be a safe way to remove these 8 TB Seagate USB external hard drives at this time. I am forced to shut down the machine to safely remove the USB HDD.

A point of interest. I have several smaller WD USB HDDs. They are in the 4TB size. They can be safely removed from the OS. I do not understand.

All of the USB HDDs have, "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties", checked.

This should go to MSFT support. I would appreciate anything helpful.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom