Bitlocker was installed on my Windows 10 Home Computer, and now it is gone. Cannot manage an external hard drive that is "Bitlocked". And, how do I fi

S

slmetcalftx

I'll try to keep this simple, but I'm not a real techy person so please bear with me. I didn't know Bitlocker was installed on my Dell (it's a refurbished computer). I installed a SanDisk SSD (named D: Drive) Hard Drive in January. Needing more space, I removed the hard drive, installed a new SanDisk SSD Hard Drive (named E: Drive). Then I moved D: to an external port. When I tried to access it, Bitlocker had engaged and was asking for a password. After HOURS of searching, I found information on checking Azure AD - WOOHOO! Found the 48 digit password. But when I try to access the drive, I'm getting an error that it's corrupt (2nd screenshot). When I go to Control Panel/Computer Management/Storage/ Disk Management, I can see the drive, and that it's got 953 GB used (first screenshot) and the properties show it's working problem and there are no issues. (How is this even possible if it's corrupt and does that mean there's a chance the drive is salvageable?)

I've read that Bitlocker has a recovery option, but when I go to Windows/Setting/Control Panel/Update & Security/Device Encryption, it's showing to be turned off (3rd screenshot). When I select Turn On, the hours glass turns, and then it changes to show it's on. However, there are no options for managing or seeing it. When I select "BitLocker Settings", a screen shows up for a second then the whole Control Panels closes. And Bitlocker is not anywhere in my "Apps".

I downloaded a recovery software and it got most of my documents (it even recovered the recycle bin on the drive), but still missing quite a few, and they are renamed by pixel size and some sort of numbering sequence, and they are no longer sorted in the original folders. I do have another program that's been great to remove the duplicates, but it's still a lot of PNG, JPG, PSD, EPS, AI, PowePoint, Word, and Excel files to have to go through to rename and reorganize (and not all of the thumbnails were recovered, and PSD doesn't show Thumbnails in File Explorer anyway). And while I'm generally pretty good about doing monthly updates, my dad fell ill and passed away unexpectedly, so my last update was in December, and I lost 6 months of data.

So NOW I'm at my questions (and sorry if this has all been too much info. I just don't know what's needed): 1) Does anyone have any suggestions or answers as to how I can get Bitlocker back on my computer (reminder: it's Windows 10 Home so doesn't come with it as a standard from what I've read)? 2) Will Bitlocker do a recovery of the D: Drive and where would I find out how to do it? and 3) Is there a way to find the BEK file since it wasn't with the Recovery Key and File Explorer didn't find it on my computer during the search? If these things aren't possible, then I'll be reorganizing the files that were restored. I consider myself fortunate that I got most of it back.

Thank you all for your time!

Sherry

Screenshot 1:

7684837f-06ca-41d1-a2e8-889fc7b61c47?upload=true.png

Screenshot 2:

4574056e-a1c2-43ec-bf6c-8ddb7f52a4f9?upload=true.png

Screenshot 3:

ecdb71a1-bb71-4d03-872b-357f179340e8?upload=true.png

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom