How to fix extremely slow ethernet speeds following the last update 19041.388 ?

T

TiberiuIon

Tl;DR further down the page

I have recently had fiber installed. Because of the location of my PC in the house, I am using a broadband extender to be able to use my PC with an ethernet cable. One of those things that plugs into a wall socket and extends the wired connection.

All was good, everything worked like a charm. Then I had to add another screen to my setup which meant, for a while, both the wall sockets were taken up and I ended up using the wifi for a bit. Meanwhile I ran a windows update which became available at the time. A few days later, I was able to add an extension to free up the wall socket for the extender. This time around, my ethernet speed dropped dramatically to around 2Mbps. I made sure the broadband extender plugs directly into the wall socket as per its instructions.

So Tl;DR / long story short:

Following the latest windows update my ethernet speed has been unusable.

I used to be able to get 40-50Mbps (not a lot in the grand scheme of things) but following the update it went down to 0.2-2 Mbps.

Wifi averages 20-30 Mbps which is expected.

This happens only on the Ethernet connection.

Upload speeds remain consistent 5-10Mbps which is expected. This is the case for both ethernet and wifi.

Version: 2004

Build: 19041.388

So far I have tried:

• Making sure Windows and all drivers are updated
  • Disabled VPN
  • Went the other way (removed ethernet/internet utilities that come packaged with mobo drivers)
  • Reset network adapter settings
  • Disabled ipv6
  • Rolled back the driver
  • Reset the adapter
  • Installed, re-installed, re-re-re-installed the driver
  • Changed Speed & Duplex setting to 100Mbps then to 1Gbps
  • Disabled Wifi while trying to use the wired connection
  • Uninstalled the adapter then restarted so Windows can install whatever it wants. Still no luck.

Any suggestions (other than reinstalling Windows) would be most welcome.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom