Replacing hard drive on HP Laptop with an SSD and would like to install Windows 10 on the SSD

S

Sav10

Hello All

I'm new here, and hope I don't embarrass myself asking this question...

I live in the United Kingdom.

I have an HP G6-2244sa laptop with an AMD E2-1800 processor (1.7GHz) with 8GB RAM.

The laptop originally ran Windows 8 but was updated to Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

My girlfriend uses the laptop for email, Internet browsing, Spotify and occasionally using Word and Excel.

The laptop has a 1TB hard drive with two partitions.

Partition 1 - C: drive is 976 GB of which only 170GB is being used

Partition 2 - D: drive is 20GB of which 17.3GB is being used... This has the Recovery files.

When I look in Settings > Update & Security > Activation... It states... Windows is activated with a digital licence

The laptop has been running very slow... Start up is slow, and there is a long delay between clicking on a file/application, and it opening.

I've already uninstalled any applications that were not being used, like video editing applications, 3D imaging application... Run Disk Clean-Up and also ran ASCOMP Cleaning Suite 4

I have looked into replacing the current HDD hard drive with and SSD drive, as this seems to give a new lease of life to PCs. So have decided to install a 500GB SSD.

I was going to clone the current disk, to the SSD as this could be potentially easier.

However, I am now thinking of doing a clean install of Windows 10 on to the SSD. The reason for doing a clean install of Windows 10 is because I'd rather start with the clean slate, and not potentially "bring over" any issues from the current drive when I clone it.

As the laptop originally came with Windows 8 and was updated to Windows 10, I'm unsure what licence key I have. There is a Windows label on the underside of the laptop but no licence key... I can't find the original paperwork that came with the laptop when it was bought.

I have used PowerShell to look at the 25-digit licence key, and it displayed one.

I then used Command Prompt to confirm the same 25-digit licence key... But I'm unsure if it's a Windows 8 licence key or a Windows 10 licence key. Or is it a digital licence?

If I install a new SSD drive into the laptop, can I do a clean install of Windows 10 on it?

Can I use the 25-digit that I looked up (if applicable)?

Or do I rely on the digital licence when I do the Windows 10 install? If this is the case, how do I know what the digital licence is?

Apologies that this a long message. But I thought I better try and give you as much information as possible.

Any help you can provide me, will be greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...