Failing to connect to a Telnet host on port 23 via a VPN only when going through router.

T

trooper11

I've been going crazy trying to narrow down this issue. So to start, I am trying to connect to a remote server for work. This connection is using a telnet client program on my pcs. One is Windows 10, the other, Windows 7. Both also have a vpn client installed and I am successfully connected to the vpn on either device. This setup works just fine when I connect directly to my modem, bypassing the router, so something about the router is interfering.

When I use the router, I always get a connection failed error when trying to connect via the 3rd party telnet client (symtrax) or using the built in Windows telnet client. I can still connect to the vpn service without issue though. So I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing here. I tried disabling the router's firewall, but that did nothing. I tried different port forwarding options, that also did nothing.

My router is an Asus RT-AC68P

Just for completeness, here is what I added for port forwarding:

Telnet

Protocol: TCP

External Port: 23

Internal Port: Blank (I have tried putting 23 in here too, but that didn't change anything)

Internal IP: I chose one of the pcs that I have the vpn client installed on. I also made sure this pc was using a static ip.

I wasn't sure if having a vpn involved would require me to use different info or another method to tunnel through the router and allow me to connect. I just feel like it must be something relatively simple getting in my way here. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom