Sporadic BSOD - Machine Check Exception, multiple times per day - DMP files, Event Viewer (System) Table, and general System Info Provided

F

FizzWare

Hi there,

I have encountered a rather frustrating issue with my new Windows 10 PC.

Every few hours, or sometimes after not long at all, Windows will freeze completely - including sound, which turns whatever's playing into an awful buzzing from the moment it froze.

From there, if I'm lucky, I get a BSOD with a Stop Code. If I'm not lucky, it stays frozen indefinitely (or really, for over 20 minutes until I get impatient because I need to use my PC again) and I force a shutdown.

The stop codes I get (if I do get to a BSOD) are almost always:

[MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION]​

However, I have received other stop codes (once each - as far as I can remember), such as:

[KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED]​

[CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT]​

[DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL]​

As you can imagine, this kind of unpredictable error is quite concerning, as well as disruptive to the purposes I need a computer for in the first place.

I was hoping for some help in understanding the cause of these errors.

I have verified that my motherboard BIOS is up-to-date, I have updated as many drivers as I could identify that needed it, and I have taken other diagnostic and repair steps.

Before I specifically list the efforts I have tried, I'd like to post the links to the DMP files, Event Viewer CSV, and System Info text files:

1. C:/Windows/minidump/072720-9093-01.dmp [1.37 MB]
  2. C:/Windows/minidump/072720-9203-01.dmp [1.47 MB]
  3. C:/Windows/minidump/072820-9015-01.dmp [1.54 MB]
  4. C:/Windows/minidump/072820-9046-01.dmp [1.18 MB]
  5. C:/Windows/MEMORY.DMP [072720 8:10 PM] [1.68 GB]
  6. C:/Windows/MEMORY.DMP [72820 8:47 PM] [1.20 GB]
  7. Windows Key -> Search 'System Info' -> System Information App -> Copied to Text File
  8. Windows Key -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System -> Save All Events As -> CSV

Now, for the most obvious things I tried:

1. sfc /scannow
    • Corrupted files found and fixed (5 Windows Defender files were identified to be corrupted and repaired)
    • Some files were flagged with a warning about having multiple security assignments or something of the like. I ignored these errors.
    • Problem (sporadic BSOD) persists
  2. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    • No problems or errors detected
  3. Windows Memory Diagnostic -> Standard Scan
    • No problems or errors detected
  4. Checked Temperature of CPU and GPU
    • Stable in 30-36*C range
    • Overheating unlikely with 3 x 140mm intake fans and 1 x 120mm outtake fans and unused fan mounting area
  5. Updating Windows using Windows Update
  6. Updated Drivers using Device Manger and Windows Update to find the most Up-to-Date drivers
  7. Updated Drivers using manufacturer tools for ASUS (Motherboard), Intel (CPU, M.2 SSD), Nvidia (GPU), and more
  8. Updated Drivers using Snappy Driver Installer (any that were recommended by SDI)
  9. Rolled back drivers to before I installed the drivers that came with my motherboard on a disc
    • Not only did this not fix the issue, but I lost some .DMP files after doing this
  10. Verified computer components are recognized properly in BIOS
  11. Set Memory kit speed to 2666MHz (as per Intel Core i5-9600K specification supports). Problem persists.

Key Observations:

1. Using WinDbg(x64), I noticed that the Process associated with the crash dump log is usually "System" (I know - not a good sign.) On multiple occasions, however; it was associated with another generic process (e.g. firefox.exe or LightingService.exe). Also not a good sign - these programs are not related
  2. The manufacturer for my memory kit (G.Skill) lists my motherboard model in it's QVL. However: The manufacturer for my motherboard (ASUS) does NOT list my memory kit model in it's QVL.
  3. All components to this recently-built computer are new.
  4. It is not known if the problem existed before general setup was complete, as it is possible that the problem would not have occurred anyway due to system operations (or lack thereof) before complete setup and other environmental conditions.
  5. My system is NOT overclocked, and the problem persists regardless of whether an XMP profile or configuration is used.
  6. The system is relatively stable upon startup. Only one instance of kernel panic was observed only minutes after user login.
  7. The system is relatively stable in dedicated tasks. Several hours of gameplay in modern games (for example, Dead by Daylight for PC via Steam) is possible with no kernel panic.
  8. Noted user tasks immediately preceding kernel panic:
    • playing Dead By Daylight and getting a Steam Overlay notification that a Steam Friend has joined the game
    • using ALT + TAB to switch between windows including a game
    • a minute or so into an 11-minute YouTube video after maximizing the YouTube player in firefox
    • switching tabs in firefox
    • editing a simple spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel
    • using WinDbg(x64) to analyze a DBG file (this kernel panic was the aforementioned instance where another kernel panic occurred shortly after user login)
    • completing a captcha on a webpage in firefox
  9. I do not still have access to every dump file created by this machine, as rolling back the machine in an attempt to solve the problem removed those dump files created before the rollback. I also do not have certain iterations of MEMORY.DBG, as it appears that MEMORY.DBG overwrites itself upon each creation. Lastly, it should be noted that the Event Viewer has logged instances where creating a dump file fails.

My question(s) are:

1. Is it possible to diagnose the issue from the information already provided?
    • If so, could you please describe the issue?
    • If not, what information could be retrieved that would help to diagnose the issue?
  2. What ways can I attempt to stabilize the system for normal use, in lieu of a certain diagnosis?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best,

Austin

Continue reading...