Blue screens & All-Around Slowdowns

L

LucasH_17

Hello Everyone,

I have a Windows 7 Machine that keep for a few different reasons. It is not my main system, but it is still important that it be working. Recently I was having an issue with the system taking too long to access anything in the File Explorer. It was taking an unreasonable amount of time. I kept getting warnings at boot asking to do CHKDSK. I did them, it took an entire day to complete, but no errors came up. It isn't a large drive so I don't know why it acted that way.

After some other normal troubleshooting things, I decided to just reinstall Windows 7 and start fresh. When I had the new installation, it was still slow. I did a SMART test on the HDD, but either it didn't give any warnings, or I didn't understand the results. I decided to run the memory check and it kept stopping at a specific percentage on 5 attempts. Thinking that a memory stick has stopped working, I opened the tower and started switching around memory sticks and re-running the test. All I achieved with that was aching thumbs and the realization that 2/4 of my spare RAM sticks are dead themselves. These extra memory sticks are very low capacity, something like 256 and 512 MB. Even with the two working spares in, I can't tell if it fixed the problem because any performance regained from working memory is taken away by the low amount of installed memory.

If anyone thinks they may be able to help me and needs more information or system logs, I am happy to provide them. If anyone also wants me to write down the information on the blue screens, I can do that too.

Thanks.

Continue reading...