Computer hard freeze (kernel 41) randomly. Possible hardware issue.

N

Nomad1207

Hello everyone,

I assembled my PC about a year ago and everything has been fine since 2 months ago. The PC just started hard freeze from time to time when I turn it on, browsing internet, playing games or just idling. Other than that, everything works perfectly. I did run OCCT and Cinebench just in case, but everything was fine (30 min tests on everything). Logs are usual except kernel 41, but it just me trying to restart PC from the freeze.

The system:

MB: X99-SLI-CF (up to date BIOS)

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5GHz

Liquid Cooler: Corsair H80i

GPU: Nvidia Quadro P620 (reinstalled drivers)

RAM: 8 GB Ripjaws V (x2) = 16GB

DRIVES: Crucial M2 500GB, ST2000MT006 2TB

PSU: EVGA Nex 750 (80 bronze)

The problem:

Hard Freezes (Completely Random)

I have tried:

Updated every possible driver.

MemTest86 done 2 times (4 passes each) Important: during my second MemTest86 check, computer froze.

Stress test the hardware to find if it's a temperature issue.

Visually check everything inside.

Hard Formatted SSD and HDD.

Scanned drives with Win Error Checking. It repaired something, but I think it was a damage from a previous freeze. I had freezes after repair as well.

Fun facts:

Holding the start button is useless during the freeze, I have to actually turn the PSU off and back on.

When I turn my PC on, I can hear and see that it actually tries to turn itself on for several times (with buzzing) before actually start the BIOS.

I had couple people come and inspect the issue. One technician said it's a PSU problem, other said it could be MB or CPU locking because of a driver error. At this point I'm really lost and I can't afford to spend any funds just to replace parts and see if this will fix anything.

Any advise or help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom