Can fix accounts, can switch from needing to login to skipping logging in, cannot get the screen with all user profiles showing

• Thread starter White Phoenix US
  • Start date
W

White Phoenix US

I am using Windows 7 Professional. Originally, I made a mistake setting up a task. I thought it was okay, I was able to set up my tasks, but things started going downhill from there. I would fix a problem, then something else would wind up going wrong.

I had to re-install Windows again, but I ran into another unexpected problem. I finally found a way to take a stupid name off of the built-in administrator account, only to have the login screen changed from showing all of the user profiles, to either only showing the one login profile with a blank frame, or going straight into the built-in administrator account.

I tried using System Restore, but it could not go back to before I had my problem. It made the suggestion to re-install Windows.
I have tried editing the registry to remove bad profile entries in the ProfileList. That list is now good. I also used netplwiz to change the name of the built-in administrator account and check/uncheck the box for “Users must enter name and password--”. Either way, I don’t get the original login screen showing the user profiles that have been created for this computer. There is no network or domain. Only my family.

I also tried this method:
Local Group Policy Editor window pops up click on the following arrows in the left hand column to expand the lists to find the file to change...

>Computer Configuration
>Windows Settings
>Security Settings
>Local Policies
Security Options <-Click on this file name or icon...

In the right-side menu a bunch of system settings will be listed, find the one called "Interactive Logon: Do not Display last user name"

But I got into it by just typing “secpol.msc” into the Run box. All it did was turn the login prompt with the blank box image on or off. No screen showed up with the multiple accounts to choose from.

Is there anyway, short of re-installing again, to fix this so the multi-user screen is displayed at login again?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom