Two days after Windows 10 Install I came back to a bleeping computer. Won't boot up - Drives appear as removable with no media and 0b.

J

JonexC

• Asus CM6870
  • Operating System (originally Windows 7 64 bit) recently upgraded to windows 10.
  • CPU Intel® Core™ i7 3770 CPU @ 3.4 ghz
  • Chipset Intel® H77
  • Memory 4 x DIMM /// 32 GB /// Dual Channel, DDR3 at 1600MHz
  • SATA 4 x SATA 3Gb/s /// 2 x SATA 6Gb/s

Seagate Baracuda 2000 GB

I have very limited knowledge but have been running windows 7 for seven years on this rig with no issues. I installed windows 10 worked for two days. Left for the weekend and came back to a bleeping computer. and "reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" error. I have windows 10 on a usb and a back up of windows 7. but can't install either because as far as I can tell, there is nowhere to install to. Disk partition check shows a few volumes all of which have no media (see last lines of this post). Its almost as though there are no drives to boot from. I kept Windows 7 operating system just in case windows 10 didn't work but now neither are showing up to boot into due to drives being at 0B.

I can get to the bios screen: tell me I have total memory of 16384 MB (DDR3 1600mhz), getting power fans working etc. but no hard drive to boot from (unless I plug in the usb with windows 10 on it).

Booting up into the usb with windows 10 on it brings me to Windows Setup screen. and two options: 1) install now and 2)repair your computer'. Install now install aks for a product key (which i don't have) or gives option to continue without product key (if reinstalling windows). Asks which operating system to install and what type (upgrade or custom). choosing 'upgrade' the next screen is the dead end: shows a "Compatibility Report" stating: "The upgrade option isnt available if you start your computer using windows installation media. If a copy of Windows is already installed on this computer and you want to upgrade, remove the installation media and restart your computer. After windows has started normally, insert installation media and run windows setup". In other words dead end

Choosing the 2) "repair your computer option" brings me to a screen with a troubleshoot option in which has several categories: a)Startup repair, b)command prompt, c)uninstall updates, d)uefi firmware settings, e)system restore, f)system image recovery.

When trying each I get the following: a) startup repair couldnt repair your pc. b)(discussed below), c)both uninstall latest feature and quality (loose term) update run "into a problem and wont be able to uninstall the latest quality update of windows" d)restarts with no noticeable changes e)"to use system restore specify which windows installation to restore. restart computer select operating system and then select system restore" which wont work because of the missing drives (assuming drives are missing). f)"windows cannot find a system image on this computer. Attach the backup hard disk or insert final dvd from a backup set and click retry. Alternatively close dialog for more options" I insert windows 7 repair disk dvd click retry scans image for system disk, but doesnt work, same info pop up appears. Tried Windows 10 iso setup file (just in case) but no luck. Clicking cancel here "for more options" shows the "latest available system image" option as greyed out. Only the "select a system image" is available. Selecting that asking for "location of the backup for computer to restore". Well beyond my knowledge at the moment so i slowly back away from this option.

Command Prompt: chkdsk returns:

"the type of file system is NTFS.

The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation"

"the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk might report errors when no corruption is present. Volume label is Boot"

"Warning! /F parameter not specified

running chkdsk in read-only mode.

Read-only chkdsk found bad on-disk uppercase table - using system table."

"windows has checked the file system and found problems.

Run chkdsk with the /F (fix) option to correct these."

"3086 kb total disk space

4 kb in 9 indexes

0 kb in bad sectors

2485 kb in use by the system

2048 kb occupied by the log file

597 kb available on disk

512 bytes in each allocation unit.

6173 total allocation units on disk

1195 allocation units available on disk

failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 6"

*so I ran chkdsk /f* and it returns " the type of file system is ntfs. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"

diskpart command:

"microsoft DiskPart verison 10.0.19041.1

on comupter: MININT-G4JJEPN"

'List volume' command returns:

VOLUME ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

Volume 0 I Repair disc UDF DVD-ROM 222 MB Healthy

Volume 1 C My-USB1 FAT32 Removable 14 GB Healthy

Volume 2 D My-USB2 FAT32 Removable 14 GB Healthy

Volume 3 E Removable 0 B No Media

Volume 4 F Removable 0 B No Media

Volume 5 G Removable 0 B No Media

Volume 6 Removable 0 B No Media

Please note that I had two usb plugged in and a dvd repair disk when I ran the above. When I had them removed it returned something like:

VOLUME ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

Volume 0 I Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 1 C Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 2 D Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 3 E Removable 0 B No Media

Do I need to format drives to restore their size and make them non-removable to be able to accept windows 7 reinstall? If so how? Or how can I diagnose the issue and bring back my pc from purgatory? Help would be much appreciated. I wouldn't mind wiping my system clean and starting from factory settings (as it seems windows 10 has already done this).

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom