Windows Mixed Reality - Random Loud Static Noise Issue

I

IOW Addick

I noticed on various postings on the web, there is a recurring theme of random loud static & hissing noise inflicting WMR headsets across the various makes.

This problem with WMR audio via USB has been driving me to distraction. To summarise this problem, WMR audio can work fine, but suddenly can change to loud static and hissing. There are certain games on Steam VR that can reliably set this audio problem off, but also can occur in the cliff house. What I have noticed that if the sound is fairly intense (i.e. lots of sound effects and/or music) this can set the loud static off.

Here are some of the things I've tried with varying degrees of success to try and get this resolved.

Equipment wise I did have a Dell Visor, now have a Samsung Odyssey Plus. Both were prone to this loud random static. I've recently changed power supply, motherboard and processor (Axus X370A with Ryzen 5 3600) and RAM - none of this made a noticeable difference. The problem also exists on a second lower spec'd computer, thus eliminating any obvious computer defect problem. I found that using a powered USB 3.0 hub reduces the frequency of the problem, but not eradicating it all together. Extension cables on the USB side make the problem much worse, so I avoid these. I've found that reducing the audio format in advanced audio properties from 24bit to 16bit, can help - but may tie in with making the sound less detailed in processing terms. I have Realtek Audio on my motherboard for speaker sound, but my last motherboard used a Soundblaster card, and in any case disabling the main sound audio driver doesn't seem to help.

I have also tried temporarily uninstalling Steam VR, but the problem can still be evident just by running a video in the Cliff house. Again detailed sound activity, rather than volume seems to be the pattern.

My VR USB audio had been fairly stable for the past six months or so, but recently the problem has recurred about a month ago (early July 2020) with gusto - windows update? The one workaround is to use separate headphones with 3M wire link to computer front panel audio, but this is a little cumbersome and ridiculous when the Samsung Odyssey has built in headphones!

Once the loud static kicks in I see that the volume level indicator jumps right up on its own (and can be dangerously loud). At this point reducing the volume back to 0 and slightly up can on occasion resolve, but only temporarily. Using the desktop mouse to left click on your desktop bottom right audio icon, and then clicking on slider bar vertical indicator (changing it from blue to white) can at low volumes offer temporary correction. Most of the time exiting Steam VR, then Cliff house, then reboot, is the only way to to correct - but the loud static invariably kicks in again at some (unknown} point.

This may or may not be relevant, but one of my Windows 10 user profiles appears corrupt, on plugging my VR set in, it's caught on an initial never ending 'checking settings' loop. I use a separate dedicated VR user profile, which works fine, albeit with the sound issues described above.

Would appreciate assistance from a Microsoft representative and/or the community to resolve, please.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom