Fresh Windows 10 install fails on reboot and causes flickering and then a crash.

H

Harold-Carter

Upon upgrading my fathers computer to an SSD and installing windows 10, I'm left completely stumped by the issue windows 10 causes.

upon installation windows is 100% functional, i can install drivers and stress the computers hardware (not a hardware fault); then upon X (variable) number of reboots, windows appears to flicker on boot (before login screen); once logged in the computer will continue to flicker and crash explorer & task manager till it trips some error catch, then proceed to log out and reset the issue in a loop till halting on a black screen.

safe mode works without issue, however, bcdedit cannot appear to force the computer to boot to safe mode weirdly, i have to forcefully power cycle the computer till advance options are available (trigger for advance options doesn't respond).

Specifications of the computer in question:

• CPU : FX6300
  • RAM: 16gb 1600mhz ddr3
  • GPU: GTX 670 2GB
  • STR: 256gb SSD + 500gb HDD

solutions I've tried so far:

• start up repair + clean boot.
  • DDU (driver removal) + fresh install of certified working drivers for the NVIDIA card (worked for a short while).
  • Windows update service disabled + registry edit to stop Windows service medic from repairing windows update service.
  • Switching to an RX590 AMD graphics card to devoid any possibility of graphics card error/incompatibility.

Solutions im going try next:

• disconnecting the HDD so old windows 7 apps can't meddle with the windows 10 install.
  • get a different version of window 10 instillation media .
  • switch out the SSD just in case this is some strange hardware fault on this SDD(highly doubt)
  • switch to Linux because its a better operating system, which actually allows you to control what it does.

I'm fairly certain this is a driver issue of some kind, due to the nature of fault, however, I'm completely stumped how to resolve this because its so illogical, i have a feeling this is some kind of automatic update for a device which i cannot stop. I haven't found any guides which make sense or target my issue in particular; if you have any idea on this, it'd be a great help.

many thanks, Harry.

Continue reading...