A few weeks back--around Microsoft Update loaded some updates that have rendered my computer useless.

J

Jared_Meadors_808

A few weeks back Microsoft Update loaded some updates that have rendered my computer useless.

It started after this update:

July 14, 2020—KB4565483 (OS Builds 18362.959 and 18363.959)

My computer immediately slowed WAY down after that update... and kept locking up. But I could still restart it in safe mode and get in to try to troubleshoot. However, Microsoft Windows 10 would NOT let me roll-back / delete / uninstall that update--the same way it will not allow you to uninstall many of their other software updates.

After digging around online for help I decided to try updating all of my device drivers on the computer--thinking maybe one or more of them was conflicting with something in this latest Windows update. And, in Safe Mode, essentially I was able to check and update all of the drivers that were out of date--and there were quite a few that were.

During that proess I was prompted to re-start my computer--and then got notice that my BIOS was being updated / flashed... which made me a bit nervous... but I went with with it.

So, now I restarted in regular mode--just to see if the computer was working any better or was still going to freeze up as soon as I started. And it booted up fine.

However, Windows AGAIN installed ANOTHER updatedat at this time:

July 14, 2020-KB4565633 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 and Windows Server 1903 RTM and Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows Server, version 1909

And that was essentially the nail in the coffin. Now I cannot even get Windows to boot up. When I power up, the HP icon pops up... then a black screen with a circle of spinning white dots... like its working / thinking / loading something / installing something...

But that never ends. It never concludes. Whatever it's trying to do--it aint happenin'. I just leave it alone and let it do what it is trying to do... but eventually it goes into sleep mode--and end up with a black screen--no circle of spinning dots--but a white mouse... that moves around the black screen but that's it. No desktop.

So, now what? Is my $500 laptop--with all of my data and emails and photos and other work on it--just a paperweight now? Thanks to Windows Update? That seems messed up. I mean, if I don't WANT Windows to automatically update--so this type of thing doesn't happen--I shouldn't HAVE to allow the updates--or at the very least--I should be able to un-install them. Right?

Short of a complete clean wipe and re-build, does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom