Unlink my Documents folder from OneDrive

T

Tommy_Cooker

I recently reinstalled Windows and installed OneDrive, but did not launch it until yesterday. When I did I noticed that a large number of files were uploading - these were saved games, config files etc. from games saved in my Documents folder. As far as I have been able to work out:

• OneDrive has hijacked my Documents folder. There is now a Documents folder in OneDrive that is the same as the previous folder which was in the default location under C:\Users\<username>\Documents. The Documents folder is now at C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive.
  • I initially deleted the Documents folder (assuming a duplicate had been created in OneDrive). When I realised that this was the Documents folder *on my PC* I recovered it from the Recycle Bin.
  • Attempting to move the Documents folder back to its original location yielded an error message stating that location already existed and I did not have permission to move it.
  • I have tried unlinking my PC from OneDrive and setting it up again. This made no difference apart from now the option to relocate the Documents folder is missing.
  • If I go to Documents Properties > Sharing the folder is called 'MA'. 'MA' was one of my folders on OneDrive. The contents appear to have been replaced by the contents of my Documents folder. On my PC the folder is called Documents but if I log into OneDrive in a browser the folder is still called 'MA' but the contents are the same. I found the original contents of the 'MA' folder in the OneDrive Recycling Bin and was able to restore and back them up.
  • I have turned off backing up Documents under OneDrive settings>Backup but this has made no difference.

I would like to fully separate my OneDrive and Documents folders as I want to CHOOSE what to save to OneDrive, and do not need it full of config files from various games. Moreover the change is causing problems with games which cannot find the new location.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom