HOW DO I? Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart?

M

mozill0rama

Please help. :)

After having my windows machine open with desktops, tabs, applications, notepads, signed into a mess of accounts I often find it freshly rebooted in the morning with updates, only to have my productivity unjustly doused. I run a handful of small businesses and you can probably imagine the perceived mess that is my work flow, even more so as you read further. To avoid the normal smattering of suggestions, yes I have changed the reboot window to the smallest allowed time, but this doesn't solve the problem at all. There was talk of an edit that would take care of this in another thread quoted below, though it was repeatedly claimed not to be reproducible by more than a handful of users. The edit was complicated enough for most users to avoid attempt, which doesn't seem to be an appropriate "fix." Another screen cap and post of the "pre-updated" windows 10 OS, before the option was seemingly removed surreptitiously for obvious security reasons. A happy medium must exist somewhere between there and here.

Now, you might tell me that it's my fault for working in a way that Microsoft has seen fit to engineer out of their products for possibly not finding an acceptable union between security and versatile Accessibility options, but try to tap into your empathy first. The needs of NEURODIVERGENT folk need to be considered in operating system design and "Accessibility" options. Coming back to an altered workspace through not fault of your own, and despite efforts to the contrary, can be VERY overwhelming. The wind-down and recovery can result in hours of lost productivity, if not the entire day.

The main reason I'm writing this is because there needs to be a clear message for those of us who CHOOSE to use a windows machine for our professional endeavors. It's important that I am able to work whenever motivation, organization, inspiration, and inclination arise, because they may not always be easy to come by in concert. It's important that the expectation that equipment be in the same state that it was left it in the last time it was interacted with, be considered as productivity can be a fairly elusive beast.

I would love a straight forward feature fix to this that would allow people to set a 24-48 hour wait period with reboot requests at an adjustable interval value greater than 0, increasing as thew deadline moves closer. Even a link to an explanation article(s) and a subtitled video, ideally at varying levels of difficulty for layman to professional consumption, would help people digest this better. At worst I'm hoping that this will start a conversation, at best, a feature request.

Thoughts?

----------------- Post I found by: Suleiman Boutzamat from March 2020

--- No solution was given and the thread was locked. ---

"Is there any REAL way to disable this cancer feature?

This is not the first time i have lost unsaved work due to this annoying function, that almost every Windows user hates.

I'm trying to behave, but it is really hard to keep calm after loosing unsaved work multiple times.

Why is it that Windows cannot just wait until the user decides to restart at a convenient time? It's not like the end of the world that users doesn't restart at a specific time.

In a time where Apple's Mac is already "stealing" a lot of Windows customers, it is a very risky (and dumb) feature to add to Windows.

This alone is very difficult to argue against in a Mac vs. Windows discussion.

Luckily (for Microsoft) Microsoft have secured themselves from a law suit in their policy.

MS knows that all Windows users hates this feature, and yet they still have it. WHY?

So back to the question. Is there any official/unofficial way (FOR GOOD) that allows me to disable this annoying feature?

I tried following some tutorials on YouTube, but little did it help obviously, as i just came home and found my computer restarted, and my work deleted." -- Suleiman Boutzamat

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom