File Explorer tasks locking up after 2020-07 Cume Update (KB4565633)

T

TomCluster

Over the last several weeks I've had problems with File Explorer. Looking at update history it's hard for me to know exactly when this started, but I'd guess the problem was introduced with KB4565483 (2020-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x-64 -applied 7/15/2020). Before this evening I was able to get out of the locks, either by cancelling tasks or waiting for something to time out, but tonight the whole system locked and the only thing I could do was CTL-ALT-DELETE and then click on "Restart" which is in one of the icons in the lower right corner of the screen.

Tonight's problem occurred when I highlighted two adjacent files in a directory list, then right clicked to delete both of them. At that point nothing else would work. In CTL-ALT-DELETE I couldn't even get anything by clicking on Task Manager.

Earlier problems would be when I'd click on a picture or PDF file to view it. Usually I do double clicks. Something would start but then the object that I wished to view wouldn't come up. If it was a picture I'd get a border around a blank area. Sometimes this would happen when I'd click on a file in Thunderbird (for example, a file shown as an attachment to an outgoing message which hasn't yet been sent - I often do this to make sure that the file I've attached is the right file). I suspect Thunderbird merely invoked the same routines that are involved in clicking on a file name in File Explorer.

I've been using Windows 10 for a long time (years), and I've never had these problems. I'm fairly certain something in Windows 10 code has changed. My current level is 2020-08 but that was only installed on August 11, and this problem existed before then. I can't be more exact when it started because the first few times I didn't pay any attention to it, but it seems to me the problem began within the last several weeks, which is why I think it must have been introduced on 7/15 from 2020-07.

Thank you.

Continue reading...