Second install of Win10 PRO 2004 loses all disk drives in Explorer and fills previous empty Recycle Bin with disks data !

J

JOHNBYERS1

WIN10 PRO 64 ASUS Z270AR, i7 7700K 4,2GHz. 32 GB 3200 RAM, 1TB NVme Crucial and Samsung 970 PLUS SSD, 4 Hi cap 7200 HDD, Opsys on HDD, MSI RTX 2080 Ti TRIO 11gB GFx card,

Previous WIN Ver was 1909 Working OK, no major issues working fine enough for many months

Now Win 10 2004 build 19041.450 Major use: Video editing and Mech and Elect engineering design

Note: all my systems are thoroughly checked for viruses and op sys integrity, deep scans are done nightly

Msofts Defender is used and no other Virus detection s/ware ever used. Any s/ware uninstalled is done under Revo

which removes most left overs in the registry.

History: Stuck on V1909 as Msoft stated my system would be updated "later" All other updates were for Defender.

Few days ago , as on auto update, V 2004 started downloading...took 3 1/2 hrs to do so and another hour to install.

Everything, including apps seemed to be working OK, disks could be accessed in Explorer, no seeming issues except some utility programs were missing from Explorer. Decided to make sys image backup on brand new , still packet sealed, identical HDD to C: drive as would be the right thing to do. That's when the brown stuff hit the fan and 2004 committed suicide.

The (Msoft) panel for making a sys image backup was greyed out. It could not be accessed. Was my new HDD faulty?

I have several other PC systems here, two running Win8.1 PRO and Win7 PRO.

The HDD tested fine on Win8,1 PRO, no issues with the drive. I parted the drive and formatted it under Win8,1 for NTFS, CHKDSK's also OK

Again putting back in Win10 2004 the sys image panel was still greyed out.

Now I had made a previous sys image for 1909 and an emergency start up USB.

I booted up the USB and got a message that a repair was being attempted !

After this MY C: BOOT DRIVE WAS NO LONGER APPEARING IN EITHER EXPLORER OR DISK MANAGER !!!

Closing down on a cold start it would NOT reboot.

THIS C DRIVE WAS ALSO NO LONGER APPEARING IN THE BIOS !@!!!

I returned the drive back into Win8.1 PC as a data drive

ALL FILES ACCESSIBLE UNDER WIn8.1 ! Disk manager states the boot part is also OK !!!

This drive seems totally OK under Win8,1 , including the boot part and 2nd Msoft part.

Obviously I could not attempt to boot or do a sfc /scannow on it or any other opsys dependant operation as its on a different mobo, proc and opsys, but it appears if it were so it could be booted OK off this PC if it were the same

(I did try to see if it was dirty, but it reported "clean" I further backed my recent data over to USB drives to ensure their safety and put the drive back into Win10 PC)

Yet it still cant be seen under Win10 2004!!!

Now I had some much appreciated useful feedback from a respected member, but this did not resolve these issues

I then used my as yet unused new HDD and backed up my 1909 Win10 on to it from the sys image backup successfully made under that version. (including re formatting) Got everything back again, system running fine once more,, re installed my recent data files and that was that...... so there were NO issues with my hardware .....problem seems solely with the 2004 update.

2nd attempt at installing 2004 over this 1909: PRODUCES DIFFERENT MAJOR ISSUES !!

Note: Auto update turned OFF, but occasional checks on Update did not give any 2004 update any more.

However today it did. Had Msoft sorted out their problems? I decided to try again, I had a known working sys image backup for 1909 and a working USB repair so maybe this time?

Now took 4 hours to download and just over an hour to install. This time I made some system checks before running anything. " sfc/ scannow " No issues. System check showed 2004 installed. All downloads of 2004 were "successful " Ran two video apps, Resolve and Cyblink , both came up OK , though not tested on live files.

BUT EXPLORER NOW SHOWED NO DISKS AT ALL CONNECTED !!!!

DISK MANAGEMENT SHOWED NO DISKS CONNECTED !!!

RECYCLE BIN, PREVIOUSLY EMPTY. NOW SHOWED 37 MAJOR APPLICATION DIRECTORIES IN THERE AS IF THEY HAD BEEN DELETED !!!! HAD 2004 DELETED ALL MY MAJOR APPLICATIONS !!??? !!!?????

How I got my disk drive assignations back:-

My 2 major apps had actually came up, so tried importing some files. ONLY C: DRIVE WAS AVAILABLE ON THESE TWO APPS !!

However, experimenting by changing C: to drive F :within these apps provided some file structure. also other drives when individually entered, but with missing files, but NO LIST of drives were available in either application.

So the drives were there, but you had to know which drives you had on the system.

Back to Explorer and this time all drives were listed as available !!! BUT if one drive is selected to check its property, then the system returned to the desk top and Explorer has to be started anew each time!!!

CONCLUSIONS: Version 2004 is DANGEROUSLY COMPROMISED and SHOULD NOT BE USED UNDER ANY CONDITION

!!!

I have not even bothered to see if the disk image problem is still there..the fact that the Recycle Bin still shows most of my working files as deleted means this 2004 system cant be reliably used at all.

I have also been on the net and seen the many, far too many, similar complaints about 2004

I am being forced back to 1909 and shall NEVER have 2004 on here again!! I have wasted now well in excess of 3 days, some from 6am till the next morning (its 1/4 past 1 am here now) on both trying to get 2004 working and forced going back to 1909 each time.

I have lost both time and money over this and I reasonably consider that Microsoft are completely incompetent and criminally liable over the unworkable and unmitigated disaster that 2004 has inflicted on hundreds , if not thousands of its users. They deserve a world wide class action against them for damages and should be hounded out of the operating system market for good, leaving the market open for a replacement opsys that is designed and programmed in a responsible and competent manner. (Win7 PRO was a part exception) Historically there have been such opsys's made in the past, but been defeated by Msofts octopoid like stifling grip on this market. Have hesitated over going over to Linux for all my systems but this may be the imperative for it.

Perhaps another approach would be for most of us to contact our respective applications software suppliers who have win10 applications only and insist that they re write their software to work under Win7 PRO again.

At least we will then all have a reasonable framework for a very much more reliable work environment.

I believe that Msofts downfall lies in excess outsourcing of their software in segments that simply don't co exist properly.

If they stopped this and did all development in the one place with proper reliability supervision they may do better.

If some foreign developers are of a high standard, they should be emigrated to Msofts HQ and work in house within that tightly knit development group. Some Win10 features are quite good, I was an enthusiastic supporter at first , but they don't work well together, if at all in too many instances

Other good companies with once excellent products have made the same outsourcing errors. Nantuckets Clipper 5 was a good example of that. Microsoft may well be going the same way.

Disgusted

John Byers

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom