I have found that Word 2016 is saving a doc with the same name in two locations in the documents file.

P

PaulaCoots

One is in a folder, labeled for the book I'm working on. Then, the file with the same name is in the documents folder itself.

I found the problem by working on the file one day, and the next, opening it. I found the changes were missing.

I did some digging, and found the file in the book folder last accessed the day before. The one in the documents file was last accessed two days before.

I think when I hit control-save throughout my session, that is is saving to the original location. Or not. I can't tell.

Therefore, I am working on stuff, losing it, continuing on...then overwriting it, apparently.

I'm not sure how this can happen, exactly.

All I know is, scenes I know I wrote are missing. This is maddening and really depressing.

I save it to One Drive, also. But am I still doing the same thing?

I will have to compare the two files, and try to see which one has the most scenes. At any rate, that's a lot of work.

Does anybody know anything about this? I can add a screenshot to better illustrate what I mean if I need to.

If I stop quick saving, and always use the drop down to "save as" and then overwrite, will that stop this weird problem?

The document was originally created in Word 2007.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom