The longer my PC stays on the more it starts freezing at random intervals (happens after every restart)

K

KremmyBear

Background: PC built mid 2014, ran fine for first 5 years, last year or so issue has become more prevalent. PC SPECS AT THE END

Explanation of issue: Upon fresh start of PC (say five minutes into boot) I experience virtually no problems, unless I load up into a game such as Ring of Elysium or any game for that matter. If I do load a game the issue I experience is a freeze. In this context the freeze is momentary, usually less than a second, and then the PC returns to normal. However, as I will explain in detail momentarily, the long the pc runs the worse the freeze length time progresses. So in about 1 hour or so the freezes will repeat ever 5-12 minutes (appears to be random) for around 0.5-2 seconds in length. Around about the 2 hour mark they range from 1-4 seconds. The 3 hour mark 3-6seconds. The 4 hour mark... the games become unplayable as I cannot tolerate the long cycles as it is disruptive to the point that I can't play "around" the issue. This issue is not limited to just games it's my entire system. As I am typing now, my PC has been on for 9 hours 13 minutes. Every 3-4 minutes I will get stutters as I type and it takes the pc several seconds to catch up. Here is where I believe the mystery gets deeper, I can run videos via Netflix and there is no visual or audio stutter, but the mouse will stop moving during these freezes. CPU idles around 9-11% (read from Task Manager Performance) however there are random spikes spikes around 19-31% for a few moments that seem to coincide with the freezes. For reference only this window and a second tab for Netflix is open and running. OH also when it's real bad certain programs that are open do this weird flickering where the tabs and the top line where File, Options, View etc. are shown. Task manager is one of these programs, same for voicemeeter.

Things I have tried:

- I have used Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. But everything came back "passed" - Visual inspection of MOBO shows no corrosion around capacitors or anything for that matter, no burned up components that I can see from everything readily presented on the board

- I thought maybe one of my 2 GPUs was an issue so I removed the SLI cable and also removed the dominate card (the one that ran my monitors and the rest of the pc) NOTE: SLI has been off for the last several years as very few games supported it and it just ate up power. The GPU was removed 8/24/2020)

- I also decided today (8/24/2020) to do a full dust removal and the issue still persists. - On a new 1 TB Crucial MX500 SSD I installed a brand new copy of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (installed on 8/22/2020) - Nothing is overclocked everything is stock settings atm

I am willing to run the issue down component by component (i.e test the RAM, CPU, MOBO, PSU, etc.), but I don't have sufficient knowledge of what programs to use and how to interpret the results. If programs as the issue let me know. The only thing I have is VoiceMeeter Banana, Express VPN, Nvidia Geforce Experience, and Steam installed as well as a few other small programs such as Discord and WinZip. But again keep in mind that this issue still persists on a fresh install of Windows 10. I really need help, this PC is all I have and I don't have any income coming in right now with the pandemic going on. If it's a bad component that I can reflow in an oven (i.e the CPU or MOBO) or switch out RAM and see if one is bad, I will do it.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.69 CFM Liquid
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory (RAM): 32GB = 2x G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-2133 CL9 (AKA 4 x 8 GB sticks)
SSDs: Corsair Force Series 3 240 GB 2.5"
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5"
Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5"
Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5"
GPU: (PREVIOUSLY RAN IN SLI w/identical GPU) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (freshly reinstalled 2 days ago)

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom