Another green tick overlays on desktop icons question.

V

VarkSter

I am aware this issue has come up many times before, but:

1) I can't find a resent post on the topic.

2) None of the solutions I've found work.

3) I have some more specific information that may help identify the problem.

First, what I've tried.

1) Refreshing the desktop with both F5 and the right-click method.

2) Rebuilding the icon cache both by deleting all the iconcache and thumbnail files, and by rebuilding the cache using another method that I can't seem to find now.

3) Checking that the Desktop isn't in my OneDrive's list.

3) Using the 'Disk Clean-up' option in the drive's properties.

3) Checking that File Explorer's "Always show availability status" is disabled.
4) Setting "Always show icons, not thumbnails" option in File Explorer.
5) Changing the icon size.

Now, some new information.

1) The green ticks are seemingly random. Some icons have them; some don't. I can't discern any pattern to it.

2) I do have Norton running, but I'm pretty sure it's not that because of the next point. Although I've checked that the desktop is not in my Norton backup list. (Actually it is now; it's explicitly Excluded.)

3) When I select the properties for the effected icons, a 'backup' tab appears. The tab indicates that Last Backup is not available. When I close the properties (making absolutely no changes to anything), the icon overlay changes to a grey square with a "/" in it.

4) The icons all appeared randomly after a reboot. I'd not changed any settings, and not performed any software updates.

The grey icons I can just about live with, but they are pretty intrusive. They also replace the shortcut overlay.

Addendum:

While typing all this up, I found a solution that actually works for me. Rather than simply not post, I'll add the solution in case it helps someone else.

I deleted one Steam game icon, then recreated it from Steam this (sort of) fixed it. But I currently have many Steam icons, and doing this for all of them would take absolutely ages.

So just on a whim, I created an empty folder on the desktop and moved the next effected icon into that, back. That fixed it too!

Doing this for all icons will be a lot quicker, but I'm still not happy. It will still waste a lot of time (and already has), and I'm still no closer to understanding why this has happened. Nor why this issue keeps coming up or why there is no simple, universal way of fixing it.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom