Windows 10 only works in safe mode from automatic repair - freezes during boot up otherwise

M

MatthewWillshire

Hello!

My PC is a Lenovo Ideacentre AIO 520. After a forced shutdown due to freezing, my computer can no longer boot up normally. The loading circle freezes and occasionally I get a 'WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR' blue screen, which never actually restarts. I can only access safe mode after entering advanced startup via hard shutdowns. (Freezing also happens when restarting)

I ran chkdsk C: /r. It took around 2 hours to finish but didn't actually fix anything.

Also did a Lenovo diagnostics test, with nothing out of the ordinary popping up.

I attempted a system restore to a week before this happened. No difference.

I attempted to reset the computer (keeping files), but there was a problem and no changes were made.

The next day I attempt to use DISM and SFC from safe mode. I run

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth​

but get the error

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

I then download both the Windows 10 Media Creation tool (then download as an ISO) and the Techbench ISO, mount both of them, and specify the source for both the install.esd from the media creation tool and install.wim from the Techbench ISO when running the above command. Same error, even with the correct path.

I run

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

and it's a success.

I then run

sfc /scannow

A great total of 88 corrupted system files (!!!!) were found, and none of them could be repaired (missing components).

I'm assuming a lot of the corrupted files were a result of the two power outages that happened when the computer was on and busy. Although, I'm not entirely sure if these corrupt files are what's causing my startup issues. Seems quite likely to me though.

I have another Windows 10 laptop I could use to replace the corrupt files with, but would that solve much, and would it be worth the time?

I would like some guidance, perhaps some opinions on my situation, maybe a diagnosis or even a solution to this issue! Thanks in advance and sorry for the lack of specific terminology. If anyone needs more information, please let me know :)

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom