Win 7-64 Pro: Office 10 Update made my Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Card inoperable.

M

MaxGeisler

In mid-May of 2020, three updates to Microsoft Office 10 were delivered, and rendered my WiFi card (Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) unusable.

I do realize that Windows 7 is out of support -- but I am using it on a Lenovo ThinkPad W540 -- a VERY capable laptop with 32 Gb of memory and a fast 4-core processor that functions perfectly otherwise. And some of my applications -- also very expensive and critical to my work -- are not compatible with Win 10, so the "solution" of upgrading to Win10 will not be possible.

Unfortunately, the laptop is out of warranty, so I cannot approach Lenovo for help.

Until the minute the updates above completed, the WiFi card worked perfectly; and I am confident that it is still operational (appears in Device Manager with NO exclamation point icon). But the computer will no longer turn it on -- either through the use of the Lenovo Access Connections "bloatware," through the [F8] (radio management) option, or through Windows Network and Sharing Center.

I have attempted the following fixes:

• I have removed the device through Device Manager and reinstalled it, both with and without deleting the drivers.
  • I have also removed the drivers separately, and installed them fresh from both through Device Manager and through Lenovo's driver download center.
  • In addition, while I have now installed a USB WiFi card, neither the Windows Network Sharing Center nor the Lenovo Access Connections software will turn that on either -- also appears in Device Manager with no exclamation mark.
  • Before you suggest doing so, please know that I have also removed all the updates involved -- this did not solve this problem either.

Since none of these strategies works, my inference is that the Office update SCREWED my Windows Registry, and that the only way to fix that is through changing or erasing registry values (dangerous for a non-expert like me).

My only remaining method on this computer to access the Internet is through an Ethernet connection.

Is there anyone out there with enough technical expertise to guide me through SAFE rehabilitation of my Registry?

If so, thank you!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom