No sound at all, speakers or headphones. USB headphones work. Error: "Can't play. Make sure your computers sound and video cards are working and have

K

KarstenS389

I have a user who no longer gets any sound on her system - laptop speakers, headphone jack, headphone jack from her dock, all are not working. I can get a pair of external USB headphones to work, but that's it. I've tried many many fixes already and am at my wits end.

So far I've tried the following, nothing worked:

un/reinstalled device, no change, didn't find new drivers

installed latest Realtek drivers from lenovo site (correct and standard for this laptop), installed/rebooted, no change

verified all device and software settings
start > sound - nothing helpful there, main speakers already set as default, troubleshooting button just takes me to KB that has nothing on the subject
Ran the audio troubleshooter, confirmed windows was not connecting to the sound, the error message made it sound system/OS related, didn't screenshot it sorry
start > control panel > sound - changed the default, turned off audio enhancements/soundeffects
right clicked speaker symbol, checked volume mixer, made sure not disabled
services > Selected each of the following services, right-clicked, restarted:
Windows Audio
Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
software center, checked for a new update - none available
Turned off any enhancements or audio acceleration in Speakers > properties
Tried to update the BIOS from Windows: BIOS shows as already the latest version
Changed default sound format: Right-clicked the sound icon in the taskbar > Select Sounds > Advanced tab > Default Format, altered sample rate and bit depth, 16 or 24 bit, 44100Hz bit, 24 bit 16 bit 48k etc, none of the settings worked

it doesn't look like a hardware error, there are no red X's anywhere, device manager sees the device as per normal, etc

Lenovo ThinkPad T490

Windows 10.0.19041
Processor: Intel Core i5-8365U CPU @ 1.60GHz
Motherboard: LENOVO 20N20043US
Graphics: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 1.0 GB
Audio: Intel(R) Display Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)
ThinkPad Dock USB Audio

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom