Optional feature "RSAT: File Services Tools" contains files which sfc flags as corrupt and cannot fix despite claiming to

W

WilliamHiggs

This is more a statement of fact than a question. I have been trying to report these bugs since I discovered them months ago with no luck so far, so maybe I will have some luck here. Ever since I updated to Windows 10 2004, I have been receiving the error "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them", but the error keeps occurring no matter how many subsequent restarts and sfc /scannow commands I perform.

0bfce25a-0755-4f60-9835-4cc7d9829186?upload=true.png

I checked the cbs.log file, and identified the files that sfc keeps flagging these two files:

Repairing file \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\\srmclient.dll from store

Repairing file \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\\srmscan.dll from store

After doing some research, I found that these two files are related to Microsoft file server, and was then able to run some tests using clean installations of windows 10 2004 on virtual machines that that the "RSAT: File Services Tools" Optional feature in the apps & features menu in settings is what is causing this issue. In my attempts to troubleshoot, I found this very interesting and useful article which allowed me to locate the windows store files associated with the "corrupt files" so that I could manually compare the file hashes myself. These are the results:

7676da6d-8e64-4203-a11f-6fb5e746442b?upload=true.png

0691f4a1-c18b-4219-8c82-ba68fd744824?upload=true.png

So, as you can see, the file hashes for the "Corrupt files" and their associated windows store backup file are the same, indicating that there is, in fact, no corruption. So why is sfc continuously finding corruption. For those of you who looked at the corrupt file paths closely, you may notice that there are 2 forward slash characters between the file and its parent directory when looking at the full path. That is not a typo. That is the text that was pulled out of the cbs.log. So it could be that sfc is scanning for those files using an invalid file path. I am not 100% if that is the case, but I am absolutely 100% certain the "RSAT: File Services Tools" Optional feature is the cause. Unfortunately, uninstalling the package does not fix sfc and nor does a repair installation. This problem has existed since windows 2004 was released months ago, so it would be great if Microsoft would fix it.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom