Windows 10 - windows update AND upgrade fail from 1709 to 2004 with 0xC1900101 - 0x20017

T

Tuna Ertemalp

(Before anyone complains, this is NOT the same machine as in my other post that I posted over the last hour, and it is a slightly different error, as well)

Since 1709, this machine actually lay on my garage floor, unpowered. Finally I connected the machine, and hoped that Windows Update would take care of bringing it up to the latest. Unfortunately, it has not been able to update it to 2004, although it was able to update to all KBs and drivers and security stuff since then.

I ran WUReset2.0.BAT before some of those updates, hoping 2004 would come through, to no avail.

Everything listed in remedy recommendations across this & other boards, except for "try after a Clean Boot", have been tried and still failed:

- BIOS updated,
- drivers updated,
- 400G free space,
- all other Windows updates have been installed,
- all previous feature update folders have been cleaned up,
- only Defender for AV,
- all running apps stopped,
- all peripherals disconnected,
- etc.

Ultimately, I used the 10.0.19041.450 Media Creation Tool (latest as of today) to create a USB stick, and ran Setup.EXE from there, hoping to upgrade the existing 1709. Nope. Still the exact same error!

The error is 0xC1900101 - 0x20017.

All LOG files are stored under (setupapi.dev.log wasn't there, but there were other setupapi LOGs that I included): 1709_to_2004_fail_files_G2

Please help! Trying to get this working over the last few days has been pain... And since I have dealt with my other machine in a similar situation for about a year, I am not hopeful: me trying to parse the LOG files only resulted in me realizing how they don't mean anything to me...

Thanks
Tuna

PS: The machine's detailed hardware description as reported by CPU-Z is included in the above shared folder, along with the LOGs.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom