Windows 10 HDR Settings kills Windows after coming back from sleep.

B

Beelzabob

Hello Everyone,

This really isn't a question but more just posting a critical bug I've found in hopes that it will get into the right hands to be corrected. I've now had to 'Reset' my Windows 10 install 3 times and have found that I can no longer trust the HDR setting in Windows to use it. Here are the details:

Computer Information

I have a Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC that I keep updated (currently showing OS Build: 19041.450 with Exp Pack: 120.2212.31.0)

Graphic card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition

Monitors 1 (main): ASUS TUF VG289Q 28" HDR Gaming 4K IPS Monitor

Monitor 2: Acer EB321HQU Cbidpx 31.5" 2k IPS Monitor

(Full System Summary Posted Below)

Bug/Issue:

1. Turn on HDR for my main monitor (The ASUS TUF VG289Q)
  2. This works fine(ish). Using apps it is annoying to keep on as it over brightens everything definitely need some functionality worked out. However when using it for my games and such it is fine - no issues.
  3. I leave my game and drop back to normal Windows. I keep the HDR running and go off to do something else. Enough time passes in which the computer either goes to Screen Saver or all the way down to sleep.
  4. I come back to the computer and wake it up. At this point my ASUS screen looks messed up. Best way I can describe it is that it looks like the image got split up into different rows and some rows were off and some were shifted slightly. It is clear enough where I can still read and make out everything but is a mess.
  5. At this point I've tried a couple things. First is I have tried to go into Display Settings and turn off HDR. Second time it happened, I tried to turn off the monitor. Third time it happened I tried doing a soft reset. The first two times the computer completely locks up. I am unable to do a soft reset (CTRL-Alt-Del) and am forced to do a hard reset. The third time the computer rebooted but that will take me to my next bullet.
  6. Upon rebooting I am greeted with the Windows Logon screen. This screen looks great and functions perfectly. However when I try to logon I am greeted with a loading circle that just spins. I've let the computer sit for over an hour and it never lets me back in.

Troubleshooting

1. First thing I tried was reducing / removing any hardware that may cause issues. External drives, webcams, printing, Monitor 1, then swapped to try removing Monitor 2, etc. Got the computer to just the basic required devices and still no luck getting logged in.
  2. Next step was to try getting into Safe Mode. No matter which Safe Mode I try (regular, with Command Prompt, with Network, etc.) it does the same thing - just spins upon logging on.
  3. Next was to try 'Startup Repair'. This goes through it's process until finally it gives a message saying it can't fix anything (seriously does this actually do anything because in all my years and problems I've had with computers, this has NEVER solved any startup issues). Upon rebooting I'm stuck at the same place, spinning after logon.
  4. I then have tried to do the options to remove latest updates and patches. These seem to do their job and remove the updates without error, however upon rebooting the issue persists.
  5. I then followed several guides for going into command prompt and checking drive health and ram health and such. All of these pass their checks but upon reboot the problem persists.
  6. Finally my last ditch effort before a full format is the Windows 10 Reset (keeping personal files). It is time consuming as the install processes takes a long time and THEN you have to basically redo your whole computer (reinstall all your apps and drivers and re-setup everything) but it does work to get the computer back up and running.

And that is where I am at. Other than the issues with HDR setting the computer runs perfectly fine. So I caution everyone to use the HDR setting in Display Settings at own risk. I'm not sure if there is just a capability issue between it and my particular HDR monitor - but considering the other quirks it has it doesn't seem like the setting is fully fleshed out yet. If you do use HDR for your games, then I highly recommend remembering to turn it off directly after and/or prevent your computer from going to sleep with it on.

SYSTEM SUMMARY

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ALPHA-TARDIS
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0403, 3/23/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume7
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.423"
User Name ALPHA-TARDIS\Bob
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 53.8 GB
Total Virtual Memory 73.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 61.2 GB
Page File Space 9.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Continue reading...