Accidentally chose windows 10 pro on OS install while having a physical copy of windows 10 home. How can I change my OS to home from pro?

D

DStokedd

As stated above I accidentally installed windows 10 pro instead of home after rebuilding my 10 year old broken down PC bc I was dumb and excited and selected the wrong option. It is now up to date and running well except for this windows issue. I've researched online and tried a few different things but cannot get any of those options to work. I have a water mark in the bottom corner of my screen and I cannot edit any of my personal settings via the settings menu because of this. I was hoping i could just insert my Home key and that it would prompt something or find a solution online but so far no luck. I've tried booting the installer setup from desktop and from reboot via the USB windows 10 Home physical copy I got however many years ago. The installer does all of the proper downloads and prep from desktop and then when it is finally done and says ready to install it shows a check mark and "Install Windows 10 Pro" and a check mark and "keep personal files". It never gave me an option to choose home or pro. When booting from the bios it prompts me to install a newer version? After some research I tried windows 10 update assistant and Media Creation tool but nothing is working. Can i just get a direct answer to how to set my OS back to Home so i can add my license key and be done with this? At this point its almost worth buying a fresh version digitally for the $100. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I also attempted this that i found in another post:

1.)
Open Registry Editor (WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter)

2.) Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion

3.)
Change EditionID to Home (double click EditionID, change value, click OK). In your case it should at the moment show Professional

4.)
Change ProductName to Windows 10 Home. In your case it shoud at the moment show Windows 10 Professional

5.)
Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion, change the same two values as in steps 3 and 4 above

6.) Close the Registry Editor

7.)
Insert the Windows 10 Home install media, do an in-place upgrade by launching the setup from desktop (not booting with Windows install media)

8.) When / if asked, enter a valid Windows 10 HOME product key and select what to keep (settings, personal files and apps, only personal files or nothing)

9.) Windows 10 Home in-place upgrade (or downgrade in this case) will be done now.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom